Chapter 2: The Bad Boy

Alec's P.O.V.

I'm surprised when I hear a knock at the door. The rest of my family had just left for a movie, so I had to go and answer it. When I open the door, I was surprised to find Violet out of breath and it seemed like she had been crying, but it's hard to tell because of the rain. "Bailey's not home," I say, assuming she's here to see her, but as soon as I say that she falls. Almost immediately, my instincts kick in, I catch her, bring her inside,and take off her backpack. I lay her on the couch, covering her with a blanket to try and warm her up. What in the world could have happened to her? I had seen her an hour ago and she was heading home, perfectly fine.

I don't see any marks consisting of a fight, looking at her face. I went up to Bailey's room, trying to find dry clothes for her, but I can't find anything in Bailey's mess of a room. Instead, I grab a shirt from my room, go back downstairs, and sit on the chair next to the couch. When she wakes up, she asks to go to the bathroom. After she's gone, I remember her clothes. I hear the sink running, so I think it's safe to open the door.

I open it to see her with her shirt off and before I could look away I notice the bruises on her sides and stomach. "What in the world happened to you?" I say, stepping closer to her. "I um... I fell... into a table..." I reach for her sides, trying to be gentle "These are not from falling, who did this to you?" She looks down. I don't think I have ever seen her so defeated. She, usually, doesn't let anything get to her. For some reason, I feel this need to protect her. I step closer to her, asking again. "Who did this to you?"

Violet's P.O.V.

He sounds so concerned and I just feel so ashamed. If he only knew how wrong he was, earlier... I mumbled out his answer "My dad.." However, I kept my gaze away from him, staring at the ground. "Why?" he asked, stepping closer to me. "I murdered my mom..." He seemed confused by that, so I decided to clarify, "She died giving birth to me... I killed her..." He grabbed my hand, "Look at me," he said. I slowly lifted my head, looked directly into his eyes and said, "What happened to your mom was not your fault. There was nothing you could have done."

I smile slightly, noticing how close we are to each other, and by the look on his face... so did he. I could almost feel his breath on my neck, my eyes drifting slightly from his. "We should probably take care of those bruises," he says, in a deep, breathy voice, still looking between my eyes and my lips. "Probably..." I say, but neither of us move. He leans closer and so do I, feeling pulled to him like a magnet. 

I hear the front door open and we snap out of our trance, as he hands me his shirt. "Um, come out when you are done." He leaves; closing the door behind him, so he can explain what happened to his family. Luckily, leaving out some details. After I put on the shirt, I hear Bailey at the door. She knocks and says, "Hey V... can I come in?" I slowly open the door as she walks in, she notices the shirt that I'm wearing. 

"Hey, let's go to my room, so I can get you more than just a shirt." I nodded and followed her. As we are walking, I can't help but think about what might have happened if they hadn't come home when they did. I'm so lost in thought that I don't even notice I'm about to walk right into someone. I stumble back slightly and then look up to see Alec, I instinctively pull the bottom of the shirt down, so it reaches my knees. "Sorry..." He looks at me for a second, then shakes it off, nodding towards me and walks into his room.

Bailey then grabs my arm and drags me into her room. "What happened between you and Alec?" She asked, as she went through her drawers, looking for an outfit for me. "Um, nothing why?" I cross my arms. "Come on, I know my brother and he doesn't look at girls like that... Unless, he wants them." I sigh and roll my eyes, trying to ignore the butterflies in my stomach, "I barely know him, he just helped me when I got here." She turns and hands me an outfit, "Speaking of, not that I'm complaining, but why are you staying over?"