The Beginning

#BlackLivesMatter - Follow the link to see how you can contribute to the cause. https://www.itsnicethat.com/news/resources-supporting-black-lives-matter-movement-creative-industry-010620 

Note: This chapter contains gore, death, and abuse.

Your breathing was erratic, pupils dilated, the sound of shouting and gunfire surrounded you. You felt every beat of your heart, it felt almost as strong as the pounding of your feet on the dirt trail leading to your goal. The barn. Despite the darkness that cloaked the world around you, the moonlight illuminated its impressive silhouette. Standing two stories high, and housing over 100 of your cattle. You knew this building like the back of your hand. This wasn't just a barn to you, no, it was your safe haven. Your true home, it was a place where you could be free, you could be yourself. But this was no time to reminisce. No, no, no you only had so much time before they caught up. If on cue the shouts were close enough to be made out,

"Over there!"

"The barn!"

The cries were still faint, indicating that the police (really just a mob, actually) still had a ways till they caught you. You reached the large barn doors, swiftly pushing them open. The doors opened slamming into the barn walls with a mighty bang. Similarly to the sound of a mob member's gun after pulling the trigger, and aiming right for your skull. A bullet whizzed by your head grazing your cheek. Then drilled into the door you just opened, violently splintering the wood. You needed to hurry.

"Stop!"

"Murderer!"

The voices were louder, crisper. You ran into the barn and forcibly closed the doors causing the wall to shake. Your cattle began to stir, a chorus of 'moos' was heard. Drowning out both your rapid breathing and the pursuers outside your barn. You locked the doors using the chain and metal bar you had prepared in advance. You flip a switch next to the door causing dim lights to coat everything with an ominous glow, afterward you haphazardly rip the switch from the wall. Then, you get to work. Good thing you prepared, it seems that there is less time than what was previously predicted.

Compared to how you acted when the "mob" began the chase, after you had so sloppily (though purposefully, of course) left your deeds clearly on display. You knew this would happen, you always knew someone would come. Sooner or later, someone, if not everyone, would come. Come for you that is. You weren't planning on revealing and or letting yourself get caught till a much later date. However, after you had found out about the death of your sister nothing mattered anymore.

You began to hum the tune your sister would sing to help you fall asleep as a child. You grabbed two cans of gasoline you had prior set on a table, calmly taking off the lids. The smell wafted out almost making you cough. You put a can in each hand and strolled over to the doors you had just come from. These cans were only two of forty you had collected. You began to sing the lyrics of the lullaby you so dearly remember your sister singing to you.

"Go to sleep..."

She cared for you like a mother, she cared for everyone. The only thing in her heart was kindness and gold, she would never even attempt to hurt a fly. Quite unlike you.

"Go to sleep..."

You continued singing as you finish dousing the barn door and floor entrance with gasoline, a decently sized puddle appears. You watch as the cows begin to ruthlessly stir as the pungent, searing, toxicity of the gasoline reaches their sensitive noses. It's as though they can smell the danger, that they can smell your intentions. You grab your 15th and 16th can and continue drowning the barn in wonderfully flammable liquid.