Chapter 5: Escape

Blue Inn Luxury Suites

In the midst of a fire

1450 hours

April 8

I was shocked to find myself in one piece.

I peeked over my bed. My eyes went wide as I looked at the chaos around me.

The floor was covered in ash and a backpack was on fire. Clothes were strewn all over the place and my suitcase was on the floor, but wasn't badly damaged.

Alexander lay unconscious (apparently this wasn't a surprise, as Alexander wasn't a great spy anyway).

Catherine was pushing Alexander's chest, trying to get him conscious. I stood up.

"We need to get out of here," Catherine told me.

I nodded and started looking for my friends and Cyrus. Cyrus was leaning against the wall.

"We need to go," I said.

"Why?" he asked.

"I don't know," I admitted. He followed me and Erica suddenly appeared behind him. I told them to wait by Catherine.

I started to look for Chip, Jawa, Zoe, and Mike(I found them, huddled in a corner by the kitchen).

After we gathered up, there was a knock on the door. I went to open it, but Catherine beat me to it.

"Children, please hide," she said.

She opened the door and a dozen Rome police officers swarmed in.

"You're under arrest for having a bomb in this hotel!" he said, but in Italian.

"Okay. Let me gather the children," she said. "Please come out from your hiding spaces, children," she commanded.

She then stepped to the window, as did Cyrus and my friends.

Then without a warning, she punched the glass. It shattered and she jumped out pulling us with her.

Erica came prepared though, and she took something small and green out of her utility belt. As soon as it contacted the ground, it instantly expanded into something soft.

We hit the soft cushion hard and we took off running.

We had escaped.