2. TWO PLAYERS AND A PAWN

TWO CUNNING MEN sat in front of me. An innocent chess board they had their attention on became the harbinger of another bloody machination. Lips pressed in a grim line; hands tucked behind, and eyes as keen as the predator, I knew I emitted the same dominating aura. Archibald Lorison, the youngest among dad's siblings, sipped wine as he waited for my father's next move. His amethyst eyes gleamed with dark promises when he caught me looking at him.

At the back of my mind, I wished Silvester Lorison would taste the bitterness of defeat today. However, my uncle's arrogance and his ability to play chess were entirely placed on different levels. The former remained uncontested in this household; the latter could be crushed even by me who did not give a damn about strategy while playing.

"It's been a while since the last time we played. I am certain your daughter missed the thrill of getting her hands dirty. She knows how to deceive even the most devious of our kind, for she grows up under my tutelage, too," he bragged.

Archibald laughed, but it did not last long when Silvester moved his knight—a threat that my uncle was too naïve to take a notice—double checking his king with the aid of my father's queen placed behind the former position of the knight.

"Perhaps you are right. We must put an end to this game as soon as possible. The winner will give the final directive," my father replied.

The pride of my uncle, no matter how many times had been wrecked by my father's skilled moves in chess, remained as high as the sky. For that reason, I already predicted his nar​cis​sist tantrums. He threw the wineglass against the wall. The crashing sound fueling my confined hatred.

"Your move," Father taunted.

"Fuck. You cheated!"

"I did not, but thank you for the compliment."

The game continued. I stood in silence even though I had been dreading the end of this. In my childhood days, chess boards comprised the biggest source of my nightmares. For every harmless looking move, unfolded a sinister path for me. Regardless if I wanted it or not, I needed to walk in the thorn they laid.

'I was, I am and I will be the pawn their fingers can place anywhere they want.'

"Checkmate," my father declared, sealing my fate for tomorrow.

"Too bad. I already plan a more exciting task for my niece. We should not hide such a gorgeous face from the eyes of the willing victims of her deadly poison."

I did my best to cloak my face in an impassive expression. Two pairs of orbs stared at me. If only Archibald Lorison won now, my task would be easier. Deceiving men with my allure was a piece of cake. Since I developed a feminine figure, I had seduced different men to gain a favor or an ace that my father would later reap from my ruin dignity.

Father held a pawn as he studied me. While Uncle ranted his disgusting suggestions. The blood of Casanova might have been running in our bloodline for Ricin and Thallium resembled Archibald's views on women-a vessel for their own pleasures.

"My trusted spy told me that one of the sons of Maximus Yllarion, the current sovereign, planned to conduct a meeting with one jurist in the upcoming Selection," Father said. "And we knew even those who had pledged neutrality in this kingdom can be swayed by the things they desired the most."

My forehead creased. "But only a few in history were able to influence a Jurist. What did Maximus's son possibly offer that will awaken the dormant greed of that Jurist?"

He lifted his index finger, motioning me to come closer. I took steps forward and sat beside him. Confusion still prominent in my face.

"Love, my daughter, is such a powerful tool once wielded by a skilled cheater."