00:31

𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐔𝐄𝐒 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐊

𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐔𝐄𝐒 𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐁𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐊. Perceval knows Elizabeth understands this. Her heart has been broken twice: once when her mother passed and now, saying goodbye to Henry.

She sits atop her horse, her eyes glazed over as they ride through the countryside. It's been a week since their departure from Henry. A week since Elizabeth said she loved him for the last time.

Perceval watches the back of her cloaked head with a sad expression. He wishes there was something he could say to help her. Tristan sits beside him, neither saying anything as the sun slowly creeps below the horizon.

They'll have to stop and make camp soon if they don't pass through a village. Perceval and Tristan carry the flag of France with them and Elizabeth has draped a cloak over her body to hide her face. They don't want to be stopped by any French soldiers on their journey.

And while Elizabeth doesn't look the same as she did when she was a child, she doesn't want to risk anyone spotting her. Tristan advised sending word to the King that his daughter is returning but Elizabeth refused. She wants to make the journey herself.

"My lady," Tristan calls out as he leans forward, "we should stop soon."

Elizabeth's head turns ever so slightly to the left before she turns forward again. She turns off the dusty path they are traveling by and directs the horse towards a small patch of flat ground hidden behind some bushes.

She pulls the reins and immediately slides off the horse, her hands already working to remove the tack. Tristan and Perceval share a worried glance as she silently works, her face completely blank.

Time moves quickly as they work to set up a small camp. The horse is tied to a tree a few feet away, happily grazing on the grass. Two tents have been erected, one for the men, one for Elizabeth.

The sun has disappeared behind the horizon, the sky full of beautiful stars as the three sit around a small fire. Perceval has put some distance between him and Tristan, his eyes on the food in his hands as he chews.

After an agonizing moment of silence Tristan stands and excuses himself, disappearing into the woods. Perceval watches him go, feeling guilty as he disappears in the trees. He's been pushing him away though he can't explain why. Sometimes he just feels that Tristan would be better off without him...

"How are you fairing?" Elizabeth suddenly asks, her voice slightly hoarse from a lack of use.

Perceval looks up with wide eyes. "Me?"

Elizabeth inhales deeply as her eyes slide to the fire. "I've been so caught up in my own pain I forgot about you," she whispers, her voice becoming thick before she clears it.

Perceval looks away. "You're in pain, you deserve to think about yourself," he says, hoping to deflect the questions he knows are coming.

Elizabeth doesn't bite. "I do but you went through far worse, Perceval." She stands and takes a seat on the log next to him. "If you don't wish to speak, I understand. However, I am here." She reaches out and covers his hand with hers, a smile coming to her face.