Chapter 1 Kamari

Chapter 1

KAMARI

I'm awakened from my dreams of the beautiful girl surrounded in gold by pounding on my room door. Man I know my mama trippin... I get up out the bed in my tshirt and basketball shorts to answer the door.

"Yes ma'am?" I ask my mom to wipe the sleep from my eyes.

"I know yo ass heard me the first time i knocked. Fuck was you in here doin?" She asks me in an irritated tone.

I make a face "Um... Sleeping. You know I sleep during the day ma."

She looks at me and rolls her eyes. "You've been like that all ya life. Even when you were a baby. We could never get you to sleep at night." She turns to walk out the door. "You know it's your birthday. You also know what tonight means so get ya butt up and down here to eat. I'm so proud to be your mother." I hear her sniffle then turns around. "Now come eat you need all the strength you can get."

I just nod and look away from her. Tonight is supposed to be my awakening. I've been told about this day since the day I was old enough to know my name and its meaning.I've even had dreams of a woman in a white gown with jet black hair braided down her back. She stood in front of the full moon and she would speak to me. Tell me of her love for me and how im worthy of the gifts she will bestow to me. At first I thought I was going crazy but my dad understood what was happening immediately. He had this huge smile on his face when I told him about it. It was like he knew her and was happy to hear she was talking to me. From then on the dreams would come frequently. She explained my transformation, how i would feel at first and that my emotions could sometimes trigger my "gifts".

I finally stop just standing in the middle of my room and go down for dinner. When I reach the bottom of the stairs I see the whole downstairs decorated in different shades of blue. I sigh, my dad went all out this time. There were even family members and my friends were here. How the fuck i aint hear all these people in here. I rolled my eyes and about to walk back upstairs but my dad saw me first.

He smiles really big claps then starts to sing happy birthday. I give everyone a small smile while they sing. When they were done singing and clapping, I said thank you.

"I'm so glad that you're awake. I thought I'd miss it." My dad hugs me and smiles.

My face goes back to its neutral state " From what I understand you will be asleep when it starts."

"Nonsense i'll stay up if you need me." I side eye him and nod.

My friends approach us. My oldest friend since diapers Andre. He and I both stand about 6 ft. You would think we are related or something. We favor each other with our dark brown hair brown skin color and his eyes are so dark they almost resemble my blue ones.

Tierra, who at one point had a crush on me. But I've never felt that way about her. She stands about 5 foot 6 with a caramel skin color and natural long curly light brown hair. Tierra was a very beautiful girl but she always seemed more of a sister to me. I didn't want to break her heart when I couldn't reciprocate the same feelings for her. So i told her and we decided being friends we would be better for us then losing someone we care for.

Daniel or Danny, he is our little Puerto Rican player. He has a new shorty every week. It's like dude a hoe magnet. And I do mean how! With his lightly tanned skin and light brown eyes he pulls like nobody's business. He cool peoples, we met him freshman year and started hanging out.

"Happy birthday lil sis! You tryna catch up with big bro." Andre chuckles dapping me up.

I mean mug the fuck outta him, "Bruh shut the fuck up. You are only 4 months older than me."