Old Crush

Authors Note: Mature content.

"Thanks for coming with us Sis." My Sister says to me as we walk through the garage of Charlotte Motor-speedway. Juliet had gotten three tickets for the whole weekend of the NASCAR Cup Race. One for her, her Husband Garth and their Son Houston. Garth however got called into work, working a triple homicide. I smile and watch Houston smiling from ear to ear looking around at all the different garages. His eye desperately trying to find Kevin Harvick's stall. I would lie if I said I didn't like racing it's kind of in my blood. Our Father was a long time midget and Truck racer. However it's been years since I stepped foot onto any kind of track. After his death during a race seven years ago I couldn't bring myself to attend any kind of race. The pain just too much but when Juliet and Houston practically begged me to take Garth's place this weekend, I couldn't say no. So I put my feelings aside. If Juliet can do it do can I, I mean sure it's easier for her cause she hardly ever accompanied Dad to the track. I was the only one that did. It was our thing. He always said I would make a hell of a race car driver. I think I kind of broke his heart when I went into medical school and became a nurse.

"Earth to Hannah." I shake my head, breaking my mind from the thoughts about the old days.

"Sorry." I say.

"You okay? I know this must bring back a lot about Dad."

"Yeah."

"If you want to bail you can." I shake my head no and my eyes find Houston who is staring at Kevin Harvick's stall, excitement glistening in his seven year old eyes.

"I wouldn't miss Houston's first race for anything." I smile and give my Sisters shoulder a squeeze. When we fully reach Houston my eyes catch the number of the car in the stall next to Harvick's. The number twelve Ford staring right at me. Our Family, the Clouds and the Blaney's were well close till my Father's death, when I pulled away from the sport. Ryan Blaney and I were thick as thieves through out our middle teens early twenties. Then life happened and I realized just how unpredictable this sport can be. A elbow in my side makes me huff.

"Your staring." Juliet whispers in my ear and I tear my eyes away from Ryan's car.

"Go say hi." She says and I shake my head no.

"I'm sure he would love to see you." Would he? I take another glance at the garage and see Ryan standing by the work bench talking to his crew chief.

"Even if I did I can't get close enough."

"You could always stalk. Hang around till he comes out, jump out like a cat." I laugh.

"Come on bud let's walk around some more. Auntie Hannah has an old friend she wants to say hi too." She takes Houston's hand and with a smile she walks off. Some times I swear it's like she's living in my head. She knows when I am going to do something before I even do it. I hang back for a bit just watching the familiar in and outs of the garage. A feeling of home hits me and I realize how much I have missed the sights, sounds and smells of this sport. I keep an eye on Ryan's stall and when he steps out after practice I follow a few steps behind him. Every time I go to say something I am interrupted by a fan wanting his autograph. Finally I see an opening.

"Looking fast today." At the sound of my voice Ryan stops in his tracks. It takes him about three seconds to turn around. When his eyes land on me I can't help but let a smile form on my lips.