Cheering Me Up

Rosa's Point of View

             I was sad. I didn't know if I was going live or die. It really started to hit me that I was fighting death itself and it is dangerous and strong. Even worse I didn't want to watch my friend suffer from it too.

            The nurse walked back into the room with another nurse and the IVs. One walked up to me and introduced herself as Shauna. She cleaned my arm with an alcohol wipe and pulled out the needle.

           "Alright. Are you ready?"

           "Ya."

           "Ok, lets go."

           She put the needle into my arm and put some tape on it to keep it down. When she was done she walked over to the IV and started it. She smiled at me and walked away. I turned and looked at Hector. I tried my hardest to come up with a believable smile. I think he could tell I was upset still.

          "Rosa. C'mon, I see it on your face. I know that you are still upset."

          "Ya, I am."

          "Well, I am going to try my hardest to cheer you up."

           He turned sideways to face me and started smiling.

           "What makes you happy?"

           "I don't think that right now is the time for this."

           "Of course it is. We don't have much else to do and I don't want to see you down. So tell me what makes you happy."

           "I don't know. Maybe being cancer free."

           He gave me this look that made me giggle.

           "C'mon. Actually, tell me what makes you happy. What are the things you like to do?"

           "Well, ice skating is pretty fun."

           "Are you like a figure skater or something?"

           " I was, but I stopped right before school started because I sprained my ankle and I wasn't able to skate on it. I have wanted to go back to skating really bad but I ended up stopping my lessons because I didn't have much time once school started."

           "Oh, so you did skate. That seems pretty cool. I might just have to take you out skating sometime since you want to go so bad."

            I giggled. I thought that he looked so cute right then. I was hoping that he actually meant what he said because I know people who will tell you whatever you want to hear.

           "Maybe."

           "What else."

           "Umm, I used to love going to the pier with my friends and get ice cream from that one really good ice cream cart."

          "Where is the pier at?"

          "It is back at my town, Cliffview."

          "You live in Cliffview?"

          "Yes."

          "That's so cool, my aunt lives there. She owns a bakery on the beach."

          "What's the name of the bakery?"

          "Ocean cakes I think."

          "I know that place! I go there all the time. I am good friends with the owner."