1

"So, paano 'yan, okay lang ba sa'yo na dito na kayo manirahan for good?" Eevee asked, her question laced with concern.

I already saw this one coming from her, so answered it in all honesty. "Siguro, oo."

Eevee sighed.

She knows me so well. That's because every summer of the year, my mom prefers to be here in Quezon more than anywhere else. As much as I wanted to stay in my comfort zone, which is my messy room in our condo at Cebu City, I always end up following her because still, she'll insist nonstop anyway.

Given that, also every summer of the year, Eevee is the one who listens to all my rants for coming then regretting it afterwards. I am an open book to her and through the years, she has been my human diary during summertime.

She sipped in her soft drink then patted my shoulder.

"Alam mo, Adela, masasanay ka rin. Mahirap mag adjust oo, pero mas maayos pa sigurong dito na lang kayo tumira kaysa bumalik pa kayo sa lugar niyo."

Because of my obvious hesitation, she is reminding me again that living here peacefully is much more convenient for all the right reasons.

Eevee is my childhood friend. Way back then, as a child, I don't care if I don't have any playmate. The thought of being alone makes me happy. Some attempted to get close to me, but I always shoo them away. Listening to their nonsense shrieks and them having quarrels over petty things annoy me. But then the persistent Yvette Atienza, whose house happened to be a few meters away from us, never gave up for her to become my friend. That's why I grew fond of her and got used to her company.

Growing up, I know I come off as rude sometimes, because what seem normal to me is offensive to others. My 'sensitive' aunts and some acquaintances can prove that but Eevee chose to understand and endure my toxic behavior. I am forever grateful to her for that.

I like being alone because I find solace.
But it's not bad that a person have atleast someone whom she can tell her problems and makes efforts to temporarily forget them.

"Tama ka," I paused for a bit. "Parang ayaw ko rin namang makita 'yung mga mapanghusgang mata ng mga tao ro'n. Hindi rin naman madali yung napagdaanan ko kaya makakatulong talaga sa'kin kahit papaano yung pag-stay namin dito." I think that's the longest I've said for today.

I told Eevee about my issue at my school in Cebu. Being open-minded and logical as she is, she did not judge me. She actually sympathized with my unfortunate experience and gave me the most sensible advices.

"Aww," she said then made a cute expression. I was caught off-guard when she suddenly hugged me.

"T-teka lang, Eev. Mukhang napahigpit naman 'ata," I laughed awkwardly then took off her arms from this white hoodie I'm sporting. "Tsaka magtigil ka nga. Kitang amoy-araw ako eh."

She chuckled. "Sus Adela, ayaw mo lang na niyayakap ka eh. Ta's di ka rin naman amoy-araw. Ang bango-bango mo nga."

I just raised a brow, not convinced of the compliment.

Eevee continued sipping in her soft drink while I enjoyed feeling the fresh air coming from the thick foliage above us clashing with the gentle sea breeze. My skin felt soothed and for I while, I was completely relaxed.