3 - Yena

We were in the corridor, walking towards our classroom. There were only a few people around, leaning against the wall using their phone...

Should I give it to her now?? But there are other people around...

But it's just an envelope, no one would know what is inside...

What if we can't even be friends if she read it??

Choi Yena, you dumbass, just do it!!

"Yuri..."

"What??" Yuri answered with her eyes still glued to her phone screen. I wonder what's on it that made her stare since just now when we met. I've already taken out the letter from my bag. The next moment, I had already pushed the letter into her jacket pocket.

"Ehh, Yena, what's that??"

Good news, she had stopped using her phone.

Bad news(or good, actually), she's now staring at me...like a cute little hamster. Her eyelashes are so long and her eyes are basically shining...

"Yena??" Yuri was waving her hands right in front of me. "YENA!!"

I snapped out of my "fantasy".

"Yeah, yeah...huh, that is...um...a letter..."

"Yena, what's inside?? Is it from you?? You know you can just text or tell me right??" She replied casually while waving the letter in her hands and smiling. At me.

Oh. My. F***ing. Gahd.

No, I have to keep my cool.

"Return to me if you don't want it." I made a grab for the letter.

To my surprise, she moved her hands away and said teasingly, "No, you gave me the letter, Yena. Now it's mine. I'm gonna read it now." She tore open the envelope.

"No!! Yuri, no!! Not here, please don't read it here. Or in school. Or anywhere near me or anyone. Read it secretly when you get home please." I held her shoulders and shook her.

"Why are you so nervous, Yena?? What exactly did you write to me??" Yuri replied while laughing and brushing away my arms.

"Just not now, okay??" I said.

"Yeah, fine."

"...and promise not to act weird when you read what's inside??"

"Fine. You're so weird today, Yena." She pinky-promised me and slapped my back lightly.

"Ouch!!" I purposely exclaimed with a wide smile plastered on my face although the hit had no impact.

"Shut up, Yena. It wasn't that hard."

"Fine. Let's go in now. See, Park is coming." I pulled her into class.

I didn't realise how much I was sweating until I sat down on my seat.

Wow, that was cool.

I gave myself a pat on the back. I can't believe that I had such a cute interaction with Jo Yuri just now!! I couldn't help stopping the ends of my mouth from curving upwards. My mind kept replaying when she patted my back and smiling.

"Yena, please answer my question."

I was still staring at my pencil case.

"Yena?? Yena!! CHOI YENA!!"

Too late.

Mr Park had already walked towards my desk and was standing in front of me.

"Yena!!" My deskmate tapped my thigh.

I got out of my daydream.

"Choi Yena, meet me later at the teachers' office during break later." Mr Park used his ruler to hit my desk menacingly.

I facepalmed myself right there.

Ughh!! Yujin had asked me to accompany her during break!! And she's gonna bring Wonyoung... and Wonyoung's gonna bring Yuri!! Freak!! Stupid Park!!

Just then, a hand appeared in front of my face and was waving. It's my deskmate, Chaewon.

"Yena, what's gotten into you today?? Of all classes, you know you shouldn't have dazed off in Park's class. He always has detentions."

"I-"

"Pay attention now, Yena."

"Okay, fine, smartass. Can you help me tell Yujin about the break detention??"

"Yeah."

*

I almost dozed off again before break time during the math period.

But who won't?? Maybe only Chaewon the smartass.

This was how I always convinced myself to sleep during boring classes that I suck at. Which is, sadly, most classes. Yujin sleeps in class too, but she somehow always gets good grades. I honestly do not know what magic she has in her. I've been trying to learn her secret but I think it's easier to study hard like Chaewon.

"Ring..."

Yes!! The bell has finally rang to save me from dying in math lesson.

But you have detention, stupid.

Ughh.

I packed my math books away, grabbed a small chocolate bar from my bag and headed for the teachers' office. Chaewon followed me to hand in the extra practice papers she had done.

"Chaewon-ya, how do you survive working so hard??" I took a bite of my chocolate.

"I'm not working hard enough, Yena." Chaewon replied as she straightened her 'Harry Potter' glasses.

"You're making a joke, right?? I don't think I've ever worked as hard as you my whole life."

"Um...okay, you can do it, Yena!! Fighting!! Haha..." Chaewon raised her fist in the air in an encouraging way.

"Thanks, but I don't think I'll ever work hard." I threw the chocolate wrapper in the bin beside the door of the teachers' office.

Mr Park was standing there, waiting for me.

[Picture(s) not mine creds to owner(s)]