Storm Incoming

Emma's POV

"The storm's coming in strong on the East Coast tonight, folks. With record wind speed times and strong currents, it's likely that this one is going to be a toughie. Remember to keep indoors with the appropriate storm safety measures..." 

My mom turned down the volume of the news as she turned to me. 

"So?" she said excitedly, clapping her hands together.

I tried to hold back my smile, faking a worried look and keeping my eyes on my hands. "Well...", I looked up "I love it!"

She punched me lightly on the shoulder. "Ugh, you made me worried for a sec! So really? You love it?"

I smiled genuinely at her. "Mom, I loved it." I placed the manuscript of her latest chapter down on the kitchen counter and crossed her so I could go get some OJ from the fridge. "The new character was so...mysterious, and the bit about her worries," I put a hand to my heart, "so cute! This book is the one, I know it!"

My mom came and gave me a light hug, resting her chin on the top of my head. "I love you, sprout."

I snuggled a bit more into her side, before going to grab a glass and sitting at the counter. My mom had been writing novels since she graduated from night school, seeing her 'hobby' as a part-time thing, whilst her main job was running the local cafe. But she was talented, I mean- seriously talented. I poured myself a drink and listened to her go over bits that she liked and didn't like about her latest chapter.

Suddenly she slapped a hand to her forehead and turned to me. "Oh my gosh, I've been so inconsiderate! Today's your first day as a senior," she said, squealing the last bit. "Are you excited?"

I made a face at her. "More like dreading it actually. Last year was so much stress with the cheer squad, extra curriculars and keeping up with classwork, I just- I just don't know how I'm going to manage it with exams and stuff coming up as well."

My mom studied my face carefully. "You should stop working at the cafe, then Em. It's too much, you've got too much on."

Immediately guilt struck me. My mother was my idol. She had raised me as a single-mother, working at different restaurants and inns until finally she had opened her own cafe so she could spend more time with me. And the past couple of years, balancing night school alongside that...She had done so much for me. And although she hated to admit it, I knew she was struggling. School fees were expensive, and with the hospital last year...She needed cheap labour and I was more than happy to work at the cafe.

"No Mom. I can manage the cafe. That's a priority, cheer and the other stuff just isn't. Plus your the best boss," I said, poking her in the side joking. "You let me work in all my shifts, even though I'm not the best employee..."

She slapped me lightly. "Hey! What are you talking about? You're great."

I laughed as I pushed my stuff for today into my bag. As I went to kiss her before leaving, I whispered, "Remember the cookies that went missing? That was me!"

I just had time to see her shocked face before I giggled and ran out of the house, blowing her one last kiss. After running down the steps from our apartment, I ran out to see my best friend Lola waiting in her car. It was slightly ridiculous that she drove us to school, considering it was only about a half mile away, but having her car was a great way to sit and chat in the mornings whilst people streamed into school.

"Hey Lollie," I sang as I jumped in the shotgun seat.

"Nuh-uh," she said, switching the radio channels. "No more Lollie."

I pouted and made puppy dog eyes at her.

She looked at me and smiled, before remembering she was supposed to be tough. "I mean it! I feel five when you call me Lollie!"