chapter 2

For years she had hoped this day would never come, her motherly intuition was on one hundred percent and she was not comfortable with this visitor the closer she got to the tent the tighter the knot in her stomach became Was this her, was this the woman whom she had found hiding in a tunnel, several years ago? Estelle hoped that she was wrong but deep down inside she knew that she wasn't. With each step she took her anger turned to fear.

Why was This woman here Had she come to take Merci away." Over my dead body" said Estelle "no one is going to ever take my baby from me "she said as she entered the tent

"How may I help you," Estelle asked the woman

 "Hello Dr.Lowe its been a while"

Estelle was surprised that the stranger knew her name

"Who are you?" and how do you know my name?" she asked

"We met Seven years ago in a tunnel at one of your dig sites," said the woman with the familiar eyes

"Well," said Estelle "I'm at a disadvantage because I still do not know who you are" now Estelle was getting very angry.

"Who is this Momma,?" Asked Merci who was sitting there confused by the conversation her mother was having with this stranger

"I'll explain later," said her mother as she leads the woman out of the tent away from Merci's curiosity.

"No," said the stranger we need to explain now" 

"Stay here Merci," said, Estelle

 "Oh no you don't," she told the strange woman with the familiar eyes, first you need to explain to me before I allow you anywhere near my child " Why are you here?

"Don't you mean my child? "said the woman

"That depends", Estelle said as she grabbed the woman by the arm and began to walk her away from two little prying eyes. while they were talking, Merci tried to follow but could not hear what was being said although, she could tell her mother was very upset. When Estelle returned to the tent she was alone. 

''Who was that momma?'' Merci asked as Estelle entered the tent

"No one you need to be concerned about, "her mother said "someday I'll tell you the story about a special little girl''

"What little girl?" asked Merci as she looked up at Estelle with those beautiful eyes, "You!" said her mother as she kissed her forehead, now Estelle understood everything.

As young as Merci was she was experiencing the world, she had seen more than most kids her age, so when she and Estelle returned to the United States she was placed in a higher grade because she was so advanced. Merci made friends quickly and they all loved hearing about her adventures. 

Making Friends

During recess, the whole fifth-grade class would sit and listen to her tell the stories of her travels. ''Recess is over'' said one of the teachers, and all the children began to run towards the door "stop running "said the recess teacher and just as she said it Merci tripped and fell, "

ouch" she said as she hit the ground cutting a large gash in her knee, her teacher picked her up rushing her into the school nurses' office. Nurse Randolph cleaned the cut, all the while Merci was crying  "Ouch," she said, as the nurse wiped the cut with an alcohol wipe. She put a bandage on the cut and sent Merci back to her class. By the end of the day, Merci had all but forgot about it.

''Hey young lady" said her mother as Merci walked in the house ''Hi mom'' she said then she immediately ran to her room to change out of her school uniform. Estelle followed "so how was your day baby"