Dragon Girl

The forest in my town has always been my favorite place to visit. It beats staying inside my bedroom and it's a far better place to dream. My daily routine would consist of waking up, eating, showering, and riding my bike to start my adventure. And that is exactly what I'm doing today.

I pull my brown hair tightly through my peach colored hair tie and test the bounce of my fresh pigtails as I shake my head side to side. Feeling satisfied with the results, I hop down from my step stool and place the stool between the sink and the bathroom cabinet. I'm pretty short for a seven-year-old so I tend to have trouble seeing myself in the mirror since it's so high. I skip to my bedroom and grab my favorite green backpack. I take one look outside my bedroom window and see the world is covered in fluffy white snow. The cold from the window kisses my button nose and sends shivers down my spine. I better put on my winter clothes so mom doesn't scold me. I dig through my closet and find the perfect winter gear and slide into them. Throwing on my backpack, I grab my beanie and stare at myself through my vanity mirror and smile. I wonder what the forest has planned for me today!

I shut my door and hurry down the hallway into the living room. A burst of freshly made coffee fills the air. Looks like mom is getting ready for her daily routine too. Every day she looks forward to a fresh cup of coffee and her spot in the library of the house. As I walk towards our boot station, I look up and see her pouring herself a cup. She looks up at me and smiles.

"Do you have everything you need, Anna?"

"Yes mama!", my high pitch voice answers as I slip into my Hello Kitty snow boots. I run up to her and give the biggest hug my arms could give.

"Good girl! " She coos as she bends down and kisses my head. Her beautiful brown hair that matches mine, falls around her face. "You be careful and don't talk to any strangers, okay?"

"Ok!", I beamed. I hurry to the front door and close it behind me as I step into the cold. I grab my mittens from my jacket pockets, pop them on and drag my bike out onto the driveway. Taking a big leap onto the seat, I allow my legs to do the rest.

The ride is smooth against the salted road and my hair dances wildly with the winter air. The roads today are quiet with few people walking around. Mr. Jones walks towards his car and waves at me. Even though I couldn't see his smile beneath his thick mustache, the crinkles by his eyes says a lot. I returned my wave and focused back on the road. Mom says it's always important to watch where you're going or else you'll wind up turning into a raspberry pancake. As much I enjoy eating pancakes, I didn't want to become one. Let alone a raspberry one.

I halt my bike to a stop in front of the forest and take in a deep breath of fresh air. I hop off my bike and guide it towards one of the trees. Placing my small hand against the tall tree I smile and look up. "Good morning Mr. Pine!" I wait for his response and watch as his branches sway softly. "I hope you don't mind guarding my bike? I would like to visit your home today." The air stood still and I leaned my bike gently against his bark. I grab onto the straps of my backpack and begin to walk towards my journey.

The snow crunches and squeaks underneath my boots as I follow the dents in the ground where my trail lays. When I first discovered this forest, I thought the right thing to do was create a trail for myself so I don't get lost. I remember my mom giving me the weirdest look when she saw me attach her gardening shovel to my bike. When she learned what I had done with it, she gave me a cookie for being so smart. After that, I tried my best to do good things because those cookies were worth it.

Walking further into the forest, I spot the abandoned hut I always use. Before, it used to look so ugly but with every visit I made it looks better than ever. No one really visits the forest so it was safe enough to call it my own. The tall trees did their best to prevent too much snow from sitting on top of the hut and thankfully I had attached a blanket on top of the roof. That was a pain in the butt to do. I duck inside the hut and sit myself on the cold wooden bench. I wiggle my backpack off and throw it onto the floor. I unzip it and take out my journal that's covered in stars. I dig a little deeper and found my favorite galaxy pen. I lean back and start to scribble out whatever comes to mind.