chapter 7

When Eddie wakes up Richie is no longer on top of him, but instead curled up beside him, drooling onto his pillow.

He's so gross, Eddie thinks. He's gross and loud and annoying and I love him so much it's gonna kill me.

He quietly slips out of bed, careful to not wake him. It's still pretty early - the sun is barely up and it makes the sky a greyish blue outside - but Eddie wants to get a shower in before Richie is up and convinces him to stay in bed with one look.

It's chilly with no clothes on. Memories of the night are scattered around the room; dirty clothes on the other bed and their bags still sitting in the entryway, Richie's glasses on the floor somehow. They must have slid from the bed at some point although Eddie can't remember exactly when they came off. A small detail amidst the other monumental feeling things that happened. He picks them up and sets them on the bedside table, continuing into the bathroom.

Eddie looks at himself in the mirror. His hair is ridiculous looking - all stuck up in various positions, and not in the sexy rumpled way Richie always sports in the mornings. He looks tired and small and a little unwell in the harsh lighting. But then he spots the bruises; small and purple, dotted up his shoulders and neck. A reminder that someone - no, not someone, Richie, found him hot enough to leave them there. It sends a little thrill through his body.

He steps into the shower, turning it up as hot as it will go. It's soothing as always, but there's no deep ache this time to relieve, no tension in his shoulders and back. He still feels languid and satiated from coming twice with Richie last night; twice. Eddie washes his hair slowly, shuts his eyes and feels the water running down his face. The day after tomorrow they'll be arriving in California. The day after tomorrow this fragile thing will come to an end - the two of them, alone together, existing between places with no responsibilities. Nothing to worry about other than just going. And there's a part of him that hopes, selfishly, that once they arrive it won't disappear completely. That maybe this fragile thing can retain some of its shape. He likes being Richie's main priority and he's not quite ready to lose him to a new life.

But he asked me to come, Eddie reminds himself. So maybe there's hope yet.

He sighs and runs his fingers back through his hair. Somehow the shower is making him feel sleepier instead of more awake, lulling him into relaxation, which isn't entirely unappreciated. A cup of coffee after will do the trick. Eddie lets his brain filter through other, less emotionally charged thoughts; like what he wants for breakfast, what he's going to put on today, everything he needs to pack. It doesn't stress him out to plan like it does Richie - in fact, quit the opposite.

As if on cue, the peace and quiet is broken by a sudden knock. It makes Eddie jump a little.

"Eds?" Richie asks, voice sleepy sounding even through the door. "Can I come in?"

"Uh, yeah, sure," Eddie says. He wonders if he locked it or not, but it must not be a problem because Richie opens it a second later, cold air rushing into the steamy room.

Richie yawns. "I just really have to piss," he says.

"No problem," Eddie tries to focus on something else, tips his head back in the water, lets his mind drift, until he hears the toilet flush. He expects Richie to leave after, but it's quiet for a moment.

"Hey," Richie says. "Can I join you?"

Eddie almost slips from the way he jolts out of his daydreams. "W-While I'm showering?" he asks, which is a stupid question, but he doesn't know what to say. Is that normal? Is that what fuck buddies do?