The Stranger

[This is a fast-paced story]

**EMILY KING POV**

I quickened my pace to a jog, my breaths coming out in visible puffs. The stranger was only a few meters behind me, his heavy footsteps echoing through the deserted alley. I didn't want to stop, and I couldn't afford to.

Not with him calling my name and commanding me to halt. Sweat, cold and clammy, soaked through my clothes. It had been thirty minutes since he had been on my tail, relentless as a bloodhound.

Gosh, does he have a robot voice? His monotone drone never seems to stop. It's infuriating!

Why am I not terrified? You'll understand soon enough.

"Emily! Stop!"

His voice was grating, but the real question was how he knew my name. That too will be explained in time.

I clenched my jaw and continued moving, fury fueling my steps. My heart pounded so violently it felt like it might burst from my chest.

Oh, a little warm-up will do!

I veered into a narrow hallway, its walls crumbling and covered in grime. I darted behind a large chunk of debris. From my hiding spot, I could hear the stranger's footsteps growing louder as he approached my hiding place.

"Emily, I know you're hiding behind that crumbling wall."

I rolled my eyes in exasperation. I wanted to retort with a snarky comment:

'Oh, really? How did you know?'

But instead, I steeled myself and sprang out from my cover. I charged at him with a snarl, my fists clenched. He didn't flinch. Instead, he met my strike with an unsettling grin on his face. He sidestepped my punch and retaliated with a forceful blow to my stomach.

How dare he hit me like that?! I'll make him pay!

'Eh? Are you really a weak woman?'

My inner voice piped up, filled with unwelcome doubt.

I gritted my teeth, stifling the cries of pain that threatened to escape. We exchanged blows, each hit resonating with the sound of our struggle.

I noticed he carried a sword, but he seemed disinclined to use it. That was something, at least. It meant he was playing fair—at least in his own twisted way.

I smirked. I could use my ability to knock him out, but that wouldn't be fair either.

Despite my resolve, I felt myself staggering for the first time in this fight.

He's too powerful! I have to run!

Summoning all my strength, I shoved him hard in the stomach, sending him crashing into the brick wall behind him. Seizing the moment, I turned to flee. Before I could get too far, I wiped the blood from my face and shouted over my shoulder.

"Stop following me!"

I tapped into my power and sprinted at full speed. This wasn't ideal. My brother would have a fit if he knew I was using half my power. I shuddered to think of his reaction if I used all of it.

Oh well! Draining it! Would he kick my ass?

A sharp pain erupted in my chest, making me gasp. It jolted me back to reality. I sensed a dark, ominous aura closing in behind me.

"Shit!!" I cursed quietly, panic seeping into my voice.

The Lost Gate seemed to be my only option for hiding. Dealing with the threat inside it would be more manageable. I ducked into one of the pitch-black rooms, dimming any sign of my presence.