Mother's Special

A soft music stops playing on youtube.

“Those days when we had a radio were the best. Atleast no wifi or internet was required”,

Said my mom, turning to the phone and then returning back to make rotis. Her silky black hair swayed graciously as the wind touched her through a window beside her. Her deep brown black eyes which always showed the care for her child were filled with happiness that day.

Phone ringing

She turns towards the phone and picks it up with a smile on her face as she saw her son’s name in it.

“Hello, Aman” she spoke softly.

“Hello ma! I’d called to inform that I’ll be coming home late I guess.”

I could sense the smile disappearing from her face. But not letting it know and keeping that feeling of loneliness with her she spoke gently,

“But son, you’re birthday’s tomorrow right? Then why are you planning to come late tonight?”

“Yes ma, but my friends are asking for a party today. And you know how stubborn they are, I’m sorry ma I won’t be joining you for dinner today.”

“Its ok son, if your friends are willing for a party, then finish it and come back.”

“Thank you ma! Love you!”

“And yes listen, do not be too late.”

“Sure mom, I’ll take care of the time.”

“Ok and if possible please do a recharge in my phone. I guess the wifi’s over.”

“Yeah mom don’t worry. I’ll recharge it immediately.”

And I hung up the phone. I knew it wouldn’t be easy for her to have dinner alone as I was her only company at that time. And dad was out of the states.

I did a recharge in her phone and went to party. I made sure to myself that I would not consume any kind of alcohol as I had promised my mom of not doing so.

Mom’s P-O-V

“Let me pack his gift and keep it beside his bed. I’m sure he’ll like it a lot.” And I removed a small box from the cupboard and wrapped it with a gift wrapper.

I pulled out a sticky note and stuck it on the box, writing,

A LOVELY GIFT FROM YOUR MOM. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMAN

I entered his room and started searching for a perfect spot to keep it and I placed the box beside his bed and returned back to my room, hoping he would like the gift.

My P-O-V

It was 1 a.m. and I gently opened the door, trying not to make a noise as it would disturb her. I first went to her room tip-toeing, making sure if she’d slept or not.

The door of her room was a bit open and I slightly pushed it a bit to make sure to see her sleep comfortably. And yes she was sleeping peacefully, keeping her face turned in the opposite direction of the door.

”So you’re back?” she asked without even looking at me.

I raised my eyebrows in surprise thinking, how did she know I was there.

“Umm---Mom ….”

“I’m your mom and I can sense you around me at anytime, Aman.” She cut my words. And turned at me with a smile on her face.

“Go and have a sleep now, its too late.” She continued.

“I’m sorry mom.” I said and closed the door, giving her a generous smile.