Chapter 6:My Type

Courtney's Outfit

Courtney's Outfit

Me, Jayla and Leilani were at Death Row headquaters, meeting with Uncle Suge's daughters and new CEO's of Death Row. Raven took over Death Row when she was around 20 and since then has been doing a great job with it. Then when Nicole, Uncle Suge and Auntie Tiffany's daughter got old enough, she started helping Raven. A lot people though that after Jamila Carter and Jodeci stopped making music, Death Row would be history. Not at all.

Uncle Suge did what he had to do to keep this place running. We weren't necessarily getting a record deal upfront, Raven and Nicole required an audition first. We were sitting in the waiting room, waiting for them to come in. Jayla and Leilani were sitting next to each other, reading a stupid magazine. Then I was right next to Bryson.

He wasn't even saying anything but just being next to me him made me feel gross. I just needed Raven to bust up in here in the next 3 seconds. God was obviously listening to me because 2 seconds later, Raven was walking through the door. I jumped up, giving her a hug. "How you doing Rae"she said, hugging me.

"I'm fine, I see you've been keeping this place in shape"I said pulling away. "It was Daddy's wish for this place to still be the number one record label in the country. I just wish he was here to see that"she said. Uncle Suge died a few years back during a really bad car accident. All he talked about was making sure his label and his daughters were taken care of. I'm sure he would've loved to see how good it's doing now. "Anyways, why didn't we see you at the party yesterday. Mama and Daddy were looking for you and Nicole"I said.

"Well Nicole had school and I did not want to be in the same house as that homewrecker"she said, rolling her eyes. I chuckled. Raven was referring to Auntie Tiffany, Nicole's mother and Raven's stepmother. When Raven found out that Uncle Suge cheated on her mother Krista, she eventually found out it was Auntie Tiffany. From that point on, she hated her for splitting her parents.

Now she loved Nicole but couldn't stand to be around her mother. We all knew that Raven and Auntie Tiffany didn't get along so usually Raven didn't come to events. I chuckled, "Where's Nicole anyway"I said. "She's in the office, follow me"she said. We walked through the doors and into the huge office where Nicole was sitting. "Well if it isn't Courtney Rae Carter"she said, getting up.

I smiled, "In the flesh"I said. "How you doing ladies"She said hugging me, Leilani and Jayla. "We're doing great, just here to get a record deal"I said. "Well, we already know how great y'all are but we gotta stick to Death Row Tradition"she said. Uncle Suge was big about giving everyone a chance.

He would let a total stranger into his multi-million dollar studio and let them record a demo. If he liked it, he would send it to the radio stations and the public would decide if they liked it. Soon after, they'd be signed and it went from there. That was what we were doing today. "So you actually have Studio D for the entire day so y'all can go in there and start cooking up your demo"Raven said.

They directed us to the studio and we got to work. I grew up going to different studio sessions with both my mom and dad. By the time both me and Calvin were 13, we knew the ins and outs of the studio, even learning how to produce. I loved being in the studio, it was my safe place. I sat at the mixer while Leilani flipped through her songbook.

"Okay girls, we got all day in here and we need to make something good. I know you got something good in there Lei"I said. She smiled, stopping one of her pages. "I got the perfect thing"she said. We went over the song before picking a beat in my phone that fit it perfectly. I spent a lot of my spare time in my room making beats.

Sometimes I gave them to my parents, my brother, used it for me and the girls or simply just kept them. Usually I'm lead on most of the songs we perform but this song was made for all of our voices, which I liked. We all got in the studio while Bryson controlled a few things on the mixer. Jayla's verse was first.

Can I see you in the mornin,Can I see you in the mornin. Can I, can I. Cause I love the way you talkin,Cause I love the way you talkin. Ooh

Jayla's voice was the baby of our group. It was soft but it carried. My verse was next.

I could be your only girl,I could be your whole damn world.We could get lost in it,I could be your only girl.I could be your whole damn world,We could get lost in it

My voice was the more soulful one, the one that stood out the most. I've always had a mix between my mom and dad. Leilani's verse was next.

Talk too much, I know. But you get me though, rambling  again but you wanna know. I can't help but feel like we've been here before

Leilani's voice was more church based. It wasn't far fetched because her parents were gospel artists. Leilani was the most shy and didn't like to sing in front of people but she was slowly coming out of her shell. The next part was me and Jayla.

Tell me that you wanna put up with me,Love me just the way I'm supposed to be.
Promise you I wouldn't be wasting your time, time

Then it was all three of us singing the chorus.

No lie I think you're my type,I really like the way you.Don't lie, get me just right, oh.Too high,but you make it alright.I wanna see you in the daytime,Stay up all night, oh

For the next few hours, we recorded and fixed somethings up. Eventually, my bladder was full so I had to go the bathroom. After washing my hands, I walked out. I was scrolling through my phone when I bumped into someone. I groaned when I fell on my butt.

Obviously the douche bag I ran into wasn't affected because he was standing over me. "You should probably pay attention to whats in front of you instead of your phone"I heard. I was really about to tell this person off until I looked up, seeing Marcellus. I chuckled nervously, he did the same. He held out his hand, insinuating for me to pull myself up.

I grabbed his hand, pulling myself up as I dusted off my behind. "What are you doing here"I said, stuffing my phone in my pocket. "Heard Death Row owned the best promotion company ever, decided to try it out"he said. I nodded to myself, "What about you"he said.

"Me and the girls are recording a demo, I was taking a break"I said, flipping my hair over my shoulder. He nodded, "Well, I just finished up. You wanna go grab a bite to eat"he said, I smiled to myself. "I wish I could but me and the girls have a couple hours left"I said. He nodded, "Okay, what about tonight. Dinner at 7:30"he said. I felt myself blushing.

No Courtney no. You're supposed to sleep with him. It is and opportunity though. I could get him drunk enough at the restaurant, get him back to his place, get down and dirty, snap a few pics and I'd get my money. It was freaking perfect. I smiled, "Sure, 7:30 it is. You know the address"I said.

He nodded before walking past me. Tonight is gonna be perfect.