Recap

AUTHOR'S NOTE

For the purposes of this story, all names will be left in Japanese syntax (Family name, Given name) to help the dialogue flow more naturally for the characters. Any Japanese terms used (If any) will be explained in a Glossary at the end. And dialogue involving more than 2 characters will have the names after the line as written.

This chapter is just a recap of the last 4 minutes of the "Egoistic Poriomania" OVA of the series. If you haven't already, I recommend watching the first season of 'Steins;Gate' first so all of the back story will make sense.

I hope you enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A man in khaki trousers, a white top and a dusty white lab coat was shuffling down the road under the harsh sunlight and scorching air of the Californian desert. He was staggering and breathing heavily as though he had been walking for hours. A single word fell out of his mouth before he broke out into a shambling run:

"Kurisu"

As he was running, the man steeled his determination not to die in the middle of nowhere.

"Damn it!  I refuse to kick the bucket out here, I am the mad scientist Hououin Kyouma!"

Having made his grand proclamation, Kyouma proceeded to trip over the air and fall flat on his face. several seconds passed before he attempted to drag himself up. When he finally managed to stand on his own two feet, he bent double with his hands on his thighs for support. Kyouma's breathing was ragged and he gave up on getting out of his situation. He started to voice his lingering regrets.

"I.. should have said it.. while I.. was here..."

"Should have said what?"

A soft voice cut him off as footsteps approached him. Kyouma appeared to recognise the voice, as his eyes darted upwards to find the figure of a young woman. She was wearing boots with the top half folded down; black leggings under black denim shorts; a light brown jacket with straps around the sleeves, over a crisp white shirt. Strung up around her neck was a loose red tie that complimented her most striking feature: her long, windswept, vermillion hair. At this sight, Kyouma lost his breath, he closed his eyes, looked down and swallowed as words fell out of his mouth.

"A mirage, Huh?"

"Don't be silly. What you're seeing is an actual, physical object. Perceived by your retinas and displayed by your brain."

"I finally found you."

She held out a hand towards him as the sun set between them, helping him up. They sat together on the bonnet of her bright pink convertible. The two began bickering as though it was a comfortable norm.

"You could've at least checked your petrol gauge before coming to help me!"

"Don't blame me! I rushed out here!"

"What about your phone?"

"..."

"Geeze, you're inept."

"Like you're one to talk! You had a dead phone, 67 cents, and you were about ready to die in the middle of a deserted highway!"

A light blush stole over the woman's face as she defended herself, both of their tones lower as the bickering stops and they begin to talk things out.

"It's not my fault. I saw someone who looked like an old friend and had to rush after her."

"An old friend?"

"Yeah."

"Ah. So you didn't run off because of what I said?"

"Nope. Huh? Wait, what are you talking about?"

"Huh? oh.. erm. You know.. About forgetting everything."

"Oh, that?"

"Don't brush it off like it's nothing! It's important to me, you know."

"Important?"

"It's, well.. You know that other weird dream I said I have? There's just something about it.. It almost feels too real to be a dream..."

"It's real."

Kyouma stood up from the car bonnet and walked 3 paces away, to hide his embarrassment.

"Huh?!"

"It's real. For me, too."

"What are you referring to?!"

He turned around to face her and stared gently into her eyes, her blush became more pronounced and Kyouma began to speak in a sincere, level tone.

"I told you I was in love with you on a different world line."

"Huh?!"

"No, I am in love with you. How do you feel?"

She averted her gaze and looked into his chest to avoid his eyes.

"That's not fair. You might've spent a lot of time with me on different world lines, but the events of those world lines only feel like dreams to me. It.. confuses me."

"I have the 'Reading Steiner' ability. I have memories from every world line. That's precisely why I know. The time we shared over those three weeks.. No. It was much, much longer than that. All that time I spent with you is why I know. No matter when or where I was, or on what world line I was on, I was always in love with you. I'll say it again. Makise Kurisu, I love you. How about you? Right now, at this very moment, how do you feel about me?"

"I.."

Kurisu stood up to face Kyouma and started to look up into his face.

"D-do you want to know?"

She took 2 steps towards him until they were standing right in front of each other. Close enough to feel each other breathing.

"Close your eyes."