Children Are Naive

Children are naive. I myself couldn't understand a certain difference between two seemingly simple, opposite things until it was too late. When I was young, I would go along with what they said to do. Why you may ask? Because that's what they said to do! "Remember to stay away from that." "Tell a teacher if this happens." "Be careful! You don't want to get hurt!" "Don't do that, that is bad." "Say you're sorry." "Don't be this."

Children are naive. Everyone was born like that. It's the parents' job to change this weak naive child into this strong eighteen-year-old able to choose what they want to do for the rest of their life. Sounds so easy. Wonder how we learned to do that in the first place. Oh, wait. Our parents taught us how. And their parents taught them, and their parents taught them, and so on, and so on, and so on.

Children are naive. People blame other people or uncontrollable things on how their children grow up. They never seem to blame themselves. Because of that, the children grow thinking it is normal to blame other people on their mistakes. And that in itself, is a mistake.

Children are naive. Parents tend to subconsciously force stereotypes on them. "Boys don't cry." "Girls don't play football." "You have to be one or the other." This leads to them feeling anxious and afraid. Afraid to show what they like.

Children are naive. But sadly, they are starting to not be. Children are starting to grow and realize they have to be more mature than their parents. It is a sad thought to think of. Children sacrificing all of their unending happiness just because everybody is confusing them. They are told to be themselves while at the same time if they like something that doesn't go with social norms they are told to not like it.

Children are naive. And sadly, I haven't been since I was five. Too many comments in hushed tones that they thought I couldn't hear, ruined that. I just hope that one day,

Children are left to be naive until they grow out of it at a proper age.