Do It Again

October 2021

Jessica's POV:

I pulled up to Atleti's facility and walked inside. "Morning Jess." Angela smiled.

"Hi." I nodded. She walked away and I looked at my office door. 

My phone rang. "Hello?" 

"This is a prerecorded message for Jessica Torres. We are calling to inform you that Erica Lopez has been released from police custody. The trial will begin in February of 2022. If you have any concerns for your safety or the safety of others, please call."

The call ended and I let my hand fall to my side.

"Hey, Jess do you think you can wrap my hand? Laia kicked the ball and I don't think my wrist is supposed to bend like thi- what happened?" Carmen stood there.

"Erica is getting released." I said. "If I'm concerned about my safety, I should call them." 

"Are you concerned?"

"She pretended to be Lola, kidnapped me, and held me hostage. Yes, Carmen. I'm concerned." 

"Is that why you haven't gone into your office yet?" 

I looked down and nodded. "I just feel like she's in there. Waiting for me." I sighed. "It's stupid." I looked up.

"No, it's not stupid. Jess, it was a traumatic moment."

Lola walked up. "Coach is looking for you." She looked at me. "What's wrong? Who do I have to fight?" 

I smiled. "She's scared to go in her office." Carmen said. 

"Makes sense." Lola walked toward me. "Give me the key." She put her hand out.

"What?" 

"You're scared to go in there. Let me go in first. Make sure it's safe."

"You have better things to do."

"I know but this is more important. I want you to know that you're safe." I sighed and gave her the key. She walked over and unlocked the door, going inside. Carmen stood next to me. "Ok!" Lola yelled. "It's safe!" 

I walked inside and looked around.

"You missed me so much you had to injure your shoulder? Oh shit."

"Hello, Jess." She smirked. "Not so tough without those bodyguards of yours." She held up Lola's phone. "Tell your friend to take better care of her belongings."

"What do you want?" 

"Jess." I looked at Carmen. "I asked if you could wrap my hand?" 

"Oh. Right, yeah." I put my stuff down. "Just sit down and I'll wrap it. 

Lola leaned over to me. "You were remembering stuff." She whispered. "I think you should talk to someone."

"I've had enough therapists in my life." I sighed. "I'll be fine."

"If you say so." She walked away. "I'll see you on the field."

"I'll be right there." Carmen said. I wrapped her hand. "How's everything with your mom?"

"Good." I smiled. "The boys want to play football in Spain, not England." I laughed. "I told her they should move back here."

"That'd be good. Have the family."

"Yeah but, I don't want them to move here, get close, and then have them leave." 

"Is that what you think they'll do?" She asked as I finished wrapping her hand.