Prologue

Mrs. Crouch kissed her baby daughter's head, and left the room with her house-elf.

"Winky, take care of Vienna while I'm gone, alright?"

"Yes, Mistress Crouch. Little Miss Vienna will be safe an' sound with Winky!"

"Tell her that her Mum loves her." Mrs. Crouch's bottom lip trembled, "Tell her to listen to her father. And tell her that I said to treat you well."

"Mistress? Is you not gonna come back?"

"No, I'm not, Winky, as my last command, do not tell anyone about what my husband and I did, alright?"

"Yes, Mistress. Winky will take care of Little Miss for you!" Mrs. Crouch smiled at Winky's fierce protectiveness for Vienna.

"Thank you, Winky. Goodbye."

"You is most welcome, Mistress! Winky will miss you!"

"I'll miss you too. Go to Vienna."

"Yes, Mistress." Winky bowed, and left. Mrs. Crouch sighed.

"I'm sorry, Vienna. I'll be watching you." She whispered, "I love you." and stepped out of the house.

Mr. Crouch was there, looking impatient.

"I'm ready to go."

"Let's get it over with."

Mrs. Crouch was hurt that he thought so little of what they were doing, but held back her tears. Her children would know each other, at least. Instead of Vienna having a dead mother and brother, and an inattentive father, her brother would be there for her, when her father lost interest.

* * *

"Barty," Mrs. Crouch whispered to her son, "You have a baby sister, help Winky take of her. She will need you. I am too weak."

He started to tear up, "I will. What's her name?"

"Vienna. I love you, Barty."

"I love you too, mum, thank you."

They embraced, cherishing the last time they would ever see each other.

"Goodbye, my son." She drank the Polyjuice with her son's hair, as he drank the one with her hair. They changed into each other. They shared a last smile, and the cell door closed on Mrs. Crouch.

"Go."

Barty nodded. He walked out to his father, and they left.

"Goodbye, my darlings." Mrs. Crouch whispered her last words, and never spoke again.

A few days later, the dead body of Barty Crouch Jr. was found, for Mrs. Crouch had remembered, every hour, to drink her potion, and no one outside of the Crouch household knew what had happened.

And in an old manor in the countryside, a young girl grew up with no mother, a loving brother, a doting house-elf, and an uninterested father.