Seventeen

Chapter 17

Monday afternoon; one day closer to the last day of our four day weekend and my birthday.

August and I were stretched across two beach towels; enjoying the sound of laughter and cheers from other beach goers.

I watched with a resigned look as yet another crowd of girls ogled him.

My mind was racing.

At last, I spoke. "Why do you even like me? I mean, I'm weird, creepy and, let's not lie, not very attractive, physically. I literally do not get it..." I was finally asking him what we had all been thinking.

"You really aren't any of that... besides, I like it when girls aren't perfect, it's simpler that way."

I felt a part of me snap. "So, I'm just some easy solution to you?"

"No, I didn't mean it that way." He pleaded; eyes wide.

"What did you mean then?"

"I meant that I like it more when..." He didn't have an explanation.

"Are you kidding me? You don't even know why you love me?" I paused. "You don't even know why you're in love with me..."

That pissed me off.

I quickly stood up and dusted off the sand that was annoyingly stuck to my ass. The worst part? He didn't even try and stop me as I walked away.

Part of me knew I was overreacting but the other part was just pissed that he didn't care about me enough to stop me and apologise.

The minute Cole opened his door, I broke down and hugged him.

"What happened?" He asked instinctively.

"August." I replied into his shirt.

"What did he do?" He sounded pissed.

"He doesn't know why he loves me. I left him at the beach and he didn't even try and stop me!" There was no water works but I still realize how weak I must have looked and sounded; I cursed myself.

"That was a completely stupid thing for him to do." He patted my back awkwardly; typical Cole.

"I'm not surprised though! Why the hell would he even like me in the first place? I was being an idiot when I thought someone like him would ever like me..." I paused to laugh sarcastically. "You didn't."

He stiffened and then laughed. "It's funny you should mention that..."

I pulled back and looked at him; confused.

"I do like you." His voice trailed off towards the end.

I punched his arm. "Stop fucking with me, Johnsons,"

"That's the thing... I'm not messing with you." That would explain how freaking sweet he acted every time I saw him in and out of school.

My heart skipped a beat. Why did my heart skip a beat?

I'm so freaking confused right now!

I just left.

For the second time in under an hour, I was running away from a guy.

He tried stopping me but I just momentarily turned to look at him, utterly dumbfounded.

"Why the hell are you telling me this now... Why now?"

I turned around and kept walking.

Rachel. I had to go see Rachel. It was during times like these that I liked the fact that all of our houses were so close to each other.