Chapter six

I typed this chapter up a while ago, and was thinking about making it longer. But I'll worry about the editing later. Sorry about the wait, guys. I'll try to work on another chapter.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

   It wasn’t long after that I found myself in the living room, standing there helplessly as my mom chewed me out. I mean, what could I do? Did I actually expect her to believe that I wasn’t going to do it? Well, I guess there was only one way to find out.

   “Mom,” I piped up. “I wasn’t going to take it, I swear. I was telling them no right when you walked in-"

   “Oh, and them,” she said with an angry laugh, ignoring my point completely. “Let’s not forget your two little friends in all of this.”

   “Mom…”

   “I’ve always known they were a bad for you, but this? This is just absolutely unacceptable.”

   “Come on,” I tried. “Don’t blame them for my stupid decisions.”

   “I’m not blaming them,” she said tightly. “I just think they have way too much of an influence on you. I mean drugs, Summer? Do you realize how serious this is?”

   “I wasn’t even going to take it!” I yelled. “For the last time, I said no. You can even ask them-”

   “And I’m supposed to believe that?” she asked skeptically. “No.” She shook her head as she put up a hand to stop me. “First you fail your class at school, and now this? No more excuses. I just, I can’t take this anymore, Summer. I don’t even know what to do with you at the moment.” She sighed with a hint of disgust in her tone, before looking back at me. “I think this is something a boy and his father need to talk through.”

   “Wait…what are you talking about?”

   “I’m talking about you and your father. I think this has gone farther than I can help.”

   “I think you’re overreacting.”

   “I doesn’t matter what you think. If I think you need time with your father, then you will get time with your father.”

   I watched her for a second as she paced the room, frustration boiling through me. “So what, then? You expect dad come all the way up here to have ‘father-son time’? Yeah, good luck with that.”

   She laughed, which through me off guard. “No, your dad wouldn’t come all the way up here, you know how he is. That’s why I’d have you go to him.”

   “But he lives in a tiny apartment. There wouldn’t even be enough room for-”

   “No. Apparently he’s moved into a much more spacious home since the last time we saw him. There should be plenty of room for you.”

   I couldn’t believe this. How could she seem so serious about something that sounded so bogus? I mean, seriously. The fondest memories I have of my dad were of him hiding out in his office for days on end so he could write his stupid books. If Mom actually thought he was going to help me in some way, then she must have lost her mind.

   I crossed my arms and glared at her, watching as she picked up the phone and dialed in a number. She looked back up at me, shooing me with her free hand. “Go back to your room,” she ordered. “And I better not find Lawny or Joe in there when I check in on you. You are officially grounded from them.”

   This was bullshit. Yeah, mom. Take away the only friends I have. Brilliant idea! I made sure to glare at Autumn when I passed by her room, out and snooping into other people’s business as usual. Although she seemed to look just as irritated as I was, for whatever reason. I also made sure to slam my door as hard as I possibly could. Which really wasn’t that hard, with how weak I was, but I didn’t give a crap.

   The thought of spending the whole summer with my dad made wish I lived in a ten story building so I could just jump out the window and get it over with. My dad lived in Florida, of all the terrible places to live. It might seem fun, but no. I had to learn that the hard way. I remember how me and Autumn begged to visit him back in the fifth grade. I had been so excited when Mom finally caved in, but as soon as we got down there, I realized it had just been a waist of a trip. The air was unbelievably hot and humid, and I was too young to enjoy the beach babes and the night life. Autumn and I were basically stuck in Dad’s cramped apartment for a whole week with nothing to do but sleep on the pull out couch and watch Spongebob marathons. The only time I even saw my dad was during meals, when he magically appeared out of the cave to cook us lousy food. It was quite the let down for a kid. Like driving to Disney World and having to cancel the trip due to the threat of hurricanes; which also happened to me. Have I mentioned that my life sucked?

   Anyways, as I lay on my bed and tried to ignore the sound of Mom’s shrilly voice from the living room, I was coming up with any possible way I could avoid this. I still had time, right? Maybe I could just run away, I wondered, but then realized I wouldn’t have lasted five minutes on the streets. Maybe I was the one overreacting. Maybe getting sent down to my dad’s was the best possible punishment Mom could’ve given me. Maybe I could just pack my video games and have a worry-free summer, no parental control with how zoned-out dad would be. Yeah, I could pull this off…right?