Grammar: P.O.V

We sometimes make stupid grammar mistakes on here. Whether it's due to lack of editing, drowsiness, etc... It is important to understand ways to avoid making these mistakes. So here is the first of many characters on grammar:

-Point of View:

        When writing we often get our perspectives wrong... It is really crucial that we work towards making sure that when you start writing in one P.O.V you keep with it. So without further ado, here are the three kinds of P.O.V, so that you can know exactly which one you would like to use:

               1st Person: This is when the story is told from the perspective of the main character as the narrator. It is in this perspective that the narrator refers to themselves as 'I'. So you won't know anything about the people or events that this character hasn't personally experienced. 

                                        EXAMPLE:

I walked through the crowded halls of the school, going against the current of students. Teenagers seemed to be pouring out of every nook and cranny the high school had available. I huddled behind my books and labored ahead. Someone roughly shoved against my shoulder causing the pile of books to tumble out of my handles. I muttered a cruse underneath my breath as I bent over to pick up the books. I'm going to get trampled, I thought.

                        2nd Person: This P.O.V. is usually used for instructional writing such as this. It is when you commonly use "you".

                                       EXAMPLE:

Now you must pour the batter into the pot and stir at a constant speed for twenty minutes. After the adequate amount of stir has been done, you must pour the batter into the molding pan. Lastly, place the pan into the oven which you should've preheated at 365 degrees for twenty minutes.

                         3rd Person:  This is when the narrative is told from the perspective of someone not a character within the story itself. Like an outsider looking in and telling details of the lives of the characters. Usually you use words such as "he/she/it". Now beware there are different kinds of 3rd person perspectives...

                         3rd Person Limited: This means that narrator is limited to only the information the main character (not necessarily main character) experiences.

                                        EXAMPLE:

Ana let out a yell, and climbed onto the furniture. She was frightened by the mouse that had dashed across the floor.

                                       3rd Person Multiple: This is just like limited but told from the perspectives of various characters. The problem here is conducting smooth transitions. Usually character/paragraph breaks work the best.

                                       EXAMPLE:       

 Ana let out a yell, and climbed onto the furniture. She was frightened by the mouse that had dashed across the floor. Across the house, Andrew heard her scream from where he sat in his study. Worried for her safety he sprang up from his chair and dashed to her rescue.

                                       4th Person Omniscient: In this perspective, the narrator is like god. They know EVERYTHING that is happening, even things the characters themselves might not be aware of. And they have access to the emotions and minds of all of the characters in the story.

                                               EXAMPLE:

Ana, while embarrassed by her predicament, was secretly glad that Andrew worried about her. Her feelings for him, while she would not admit them, were growing more and more each day. Ana glared at Andrew as he rolled on the floor laughing at her. He could not believe that something so tiny of a mouse could get such a blood-curling scream out of her.

That is pretty much all there is to know about point of view. Well the basic stuff anyways. Always make it a point of picking one out when beginning to write a story. Usually you'll find one you feel the most comfortable with and stick to it. If you're unsure what you like best do something like I did above: create paragraphs of the same situation with different kinds of perspectives. It might take a little getting used to, but having a committed P.O.V makes it easier for readers to understand the flow of your writing.

                        In the external link is a website I use when I need further clarification. I think the author does a good job of explaining it in simple, yet adequate detail.