Prologue

I killed my mother. That's what they wanted me to believe.

"Violet I need you to go over the story again on tape please." My lawyer said. She clicked the on button on the recorder and looked expectantly at me. I sighed but went over my story once again.

When I was done she didn't say anything. She just stared blankly at what she had written on her notepad. Like she couldn't believe it herself. As if it wasn't her hand writing but instead a foreign language.

"I don't think you killed your mother. Based on your dad's long record of wrong doings I have reason to think he framed you. I'm not saying he killed your mother but your father has showed numerous red flags that he is capable of doing harm. I'm going to do my best to prove your innocence but I need you to be honest about everything. Please, go over your story one more time."

My heart was racing, my future was on the line. I always knew my father was a bit reckless in his younger days. She didn't specify what his record showed but based on her reasoning it must be bad. My father knew how to manipulate people. He could talk anyone into anything. He was persuasive and convincing. He was evil and it took me this long to realize it.