The Forest

"Taavi! Wake up, dear," a small feminine voice broke through his peaceful dreaming.

He groggily blinked his eyes open. He heard the birds chirping and singing, blending in with the symphony of morning sounds. Blinding sunlight was coming through the curtains, now fully drawn. He squinted and looked the other way. One of his caretakers, Miya, was standing over him, smiling.

"It's time for breakfast, Taavi. You've slept for quite a while!"

She helped him change and wash his face, then led him outside to the meal table. She grabbed his breakfast from the kitchen area and gave him a plate of two steamed buns, sliding into the spot across from him.

"What do you want to do today?" she asked brightly.

He looked away, shrugging. He stuffed a bun into his mouth and chewed. He stared absent-mindedly at the children scampering around outside playing tag. He scooted around in his chair, uncomfortable. Something was tugging at him. He let his legs swing back and forth under the table, accidentally giving Miya a kick in the shins.

"Ouch! Taavi!"

He stopped chewing. "Sorry," he mumbled around his giant bite of food, struggling to get it all down his throat.

The woman sighed. "You can't sit in your room all day again. It's unhealthy for you."

He finally managed to gulp down the chewed up chunks in his mouth and leaned back in his chair.

"Can we go into the forest?" he asked, turning his gaze back to her.

She froze. "Wherever did you come up with such an idea?" she asked, horrified. "The forest is full of danger! No, we aren't going there."

Taavi bit his lip, remembering the trail of light he saw last night.

"Whhrrrr," he whispered under his breath.

"What was that?"

He glanced up at her and grinned. "Let's go find the will-o'-wisp!"

She frowned. "What is the matter with you, Taavi? Did you have a bad dream?"

He shook his head. "It's a real one. I saw it."

Just then, a group of children ran into the door, shrieking and chasing each other around. Miya got up from the table and shouted for them to be quiet. They paid no heed and continued running around the house. She looked back toward him and gestured for him to finish up his breakfast, then took off after the children. As she disappeared into the hallway, Taavi shoved the second bun down his throat, pushed his chair from the table, and sprinted out the door. He was going to find the wisp!

He bounced forward, loving the feel of grass against his feet. The small brook to the right of the house was churning and bubbling excitedly, making a noise so peculiar it made him giggle. He walked along the path beside the stream and looked around him. The forest was to his left, its trees swaying in the wind. He licked his lips, coming to a stop on the stone trail. Glancing back at the house, he timidly took two small steps from it, edging closer to the forest. When he saw no one looking, he took bigger steps, until he was right at the edge, staring straight up a huge tree. He took in a long breath, scanning the woods in front of him.

"Whhrrrr?" he tried.

A blackbird hopped down to a branch in front of him and cocked its head. Beside him, a small black squirrel raced up a tree, chittering. Taavi took a step forward, amazed at how alive the forest was. There were animals everywhere, scampering, crawling, and fluttering. The sounds and smells engulfed him, giving him a sense of strength. He smiled happily.

Suddenly, he felt a big hand clasp his shoulder. He jumped, spinning around, feeling his heartbeat quicken. It was Raymond, another of the guardians.

"You like the forest, boy?" he asked, squinting into the trees.

Taavi shuffled his feet and nodded.

"It is home to many creatures," Raymond told him. "Birds, squirrels. Rodents. But do not forget, it is also home to many dangerous beasts and predators."

He looked down at the boy grimly. "Come on, back to the house. Don't venture near this place again, you hear?"

The man put his arm around the boy's shoulders and led him away. Disappointed, Taavi wistfully looked back at the forest one last time and trudged home with the caretaker.