Chapter 1

*narrator*

Brent sat in his classroom, waiting for instruction. The teacher, Mrs. King, stood at the front of the room flipping through her flip chart looking for the warmup slide. Then, she walked in.

Ashton Dawson. She was a pretty girl; shiny, soft dirty blond hair, bright green eyes, big glasses over them. She was a nice height, healthy. However, she wasn't considered much other than smart. She wasn't necessarily in the population of losers, but she was far drone popular. She didn't care, of course, she actually wished she wasn't popular.

Brent, inside his thoughts, deep down in the section he had never told any of his friends, was attracted to her. While most people, even Ashton herself, expected him to look down upon her, he saw her as a spawn of an angel. He turned his head back to Mrs. King, avoiding staring at her walk in for too long.

She sat down in her seat at his table along with her friend Katelynn, but they actually got out their notebooks and started their work. Brent, however, looked at Ashton write, set down her backpack, move her hair out of her face. These tiny details caught his attention.

It was time to compare answers with their table group. Ashton, Katelynn and Ezekiel started going over what they had written, and prepared to share. They looked to Brent, noticing he hadn't spoken a word. He was furiously writing, and the group assumed he was finishing up. A few minutes later, they asked for his response. He read what he had answered, and kept writing.

Luke got called on, thankfully to Brent, and stammered out his incorrect, short answer and explanation. Mrs. King did not accept his response, unfortunately, and called on Brent.

Brent read his answer loud and clear, and got it partially right. Ashton had to justify for him, though, and he knew she had it under control. It was perfectly said in her angelic voice, and he nodded in agreement to what she said. Garrett Howard clapped his hands at the "wonderful" job.

Ashton turned to Brent and started talking about what happened in the hallway, even though she noticed he zoned out, not for the reason she thought. She thought he didn't want to listen, but he wanted to listen too much. Katelynn always saw the sparkle that Brent liked Ashton. She thought it was funny, and always kept it to herself.

Luke turned to Brent and yelled at him about something that apparently happened in homeroom. Brent politely finished listening to Ashton's surprisingly really interesting and engulfing story, then replied to Luke with a small, expressionless "haha." Brent then commented on the story, and asked a weird yet reasonable clarifying question. Ashton answered like she was a professional at reciting an event, then walked to tell Layla and Christopher, two of her best friends, what happened.

Brent scooted back in his chair and picked up his binder and started writing a letter, in his best cursive, to Ashton, which he knew he would never deliver, but he felt the need to write it down. Katelynn, being the snoop that she is, watched each individual letter he wrote, and despite how illegible it seemed, she understood each sentence.

She thought it was adorable. She trembled in her seat wanting to tell Ashton Brent's feelings, but that would ruin the secrecy that Brent wanted to maintain. If it floated his boat to keep his feelings captive in his heart and brain, so be it. Katelynn didn't want to interfere just in case Brent wanted to wait and tell her himself. Katelynn did however, whisper it over to blabber mouth Maddison. Unexpectedly, Maddison didn't say it out loud, or tell Ashton or Brent anything. She did want to really badly, because she knew that Brent would never tell Ashton the truth because he wouldn't risk anything so serious.

"What did the note exactly read?" Maddison asked Katelynn, and waited for Katelynn to magically recite the whole thing.

"I only saw half and I do not remember everything I see or hear!" Katelynn suddenly regretted telling Maddison at all. She did know what it said, but if it was blabbed to anyone it would get around with more than just a theory. People would say chunks of the letter, and it would become a rumor, embarrassment, et cetera.