Chapter 1

(The picture shows the main character Haru)

This story happened to a young man named Haru. Just Haru. He had no last name, and no family. Haru didn't remember or know anything about them. He grew up in an orphanage, and when he got older, Haru started working with other orphans like him, in grief. It was a hard time. People without a name or a past were taken into slavery and forced to work, paying for it with food and a roof over their heads.

Haru was fifteen when he started working. His job was to mine crystals. Yes, not simple, but magical. Each crystal has its own characteristics. Some heal, others give this or that magic, and others serve as amulets. I don't know what I don't know. I don't agree to make it up. It was like this.

A large dark mine. A long underground corridor, in the middle of which, at each wall, stands one or two people, young and old. They swing their pickaxes and hit the black stone wall with them, and a stone, or, if you're lucky, a crystal, falls out of it.

They were young men and old men. The youngest of them is fifteen. He is easily recognized by his silver hair, gathered in a short ponytail, and blue eyes. Dressed like everyone else, in work pants and a t-shirt. His pale face, thin build — all these are the fruits of his hard work, in particular, as a clerk.

Despite his young age, the boy was very strong and quickly worked with a pickaxe, helping a friend — a bearded old man bending under the weight of his own age. In a word, sick. The wrinkled face looks green. It took him a lot of effort to lift his pick, let alone hit the wall with it. But who cared then. Certainly not the clerk. He was a short, stocky man with a mustache and always carried a whip in his hand.

The clerk was a cruel and merciless man. He forced everyone to work in the mine instead of upstairs, because there are a lot of people and places up there, but here it is cramped, and even if they wanted to take revenge on him for suffering, they would not have succeeded. He surrounded himself with bodyguards, so he wasn't afraid. Bodyguards are no better than their master. Ready at any time to put in place those who they or their master does not like.

Suddenly, the old man working next to Haru fell to his knees and coughed hoarsely, attracting the attention of not only the boy who rushed to help him, but also the frowning clerk. The boy sat down next to the old man and helped him up, slapping him on the back and asking him how he was feeling.

The old man could hardly, but still managed to smile, looking at the boy with gratitude. The clerk came up to them.

He was very angry. Just give him an excuse to whip someone to death. A real sadist.

Haru understood what was about to happen and closed the old man behind him, boldly and resolutely looking into the clerk's eyes. Without a word, the man pushed the boy aside, swung the whip, and hit the old man on his stomach several times. The shirt on his back was red with blood.

The boy clenched his fists, looking at the clerk with hatred. He had barely taken a step when he was grabbed from behind by the shoulders. He started twitching, trying to get out of the hands, but the workers holding him just shook their heads, saying that it would be worse for you. He'll just kill you and there's nothing you can do.

All the boy could do now was pray that the clerk would calm down and let the poor old man go. Finally, his bloodlust was quenched and he stopped. Haru went to the old man and helped him up. He ran a hand over his wet forehead, brushing away the silvery strands.

"I wish this clerk would get stoned in the stope. Why can't we all get together and drive him away? We are more than his retinue, we have weapons, and the desire to be free. So why?»

Soon this thought disappeared as quickly as it had appeared. He hated the job, but it gave him shelter, food, and drink. If he were free,he would lose it all. After all, he has no family, no friends, no home. He is alone in this world. An unwanted, rootless orphan.

Hearing someone being whipped again out of the corner of his ear, he sighed softly, and, trying not to look in that direction, continued his work, mentally reproaching himself for his helplessness. But what can he do? He could only grit his teeth and endure it in silence.

***

When the cart was filled to the brim with the crystals they had collected, they, the battered old man and Haru, were told to take it to a certain place. This task was a kind of rest for them, because they could finally get out of the mine into the light of day, get some fresh air, and even help each other with the wounds received from the clerk.

It was the middle of summer. Very hot day. They walked through a beautiful forest, listening to the birds singing. They reached the right place, poured out the crystals from the cart, then lay down on the grass under a tree, deciding to rest a little.

— Wake me when the time comes, - the old man said to the boy, and the boy nodded, sitting down with him on the grass and leaning back. The old man coughed a few more times, turned on his side, and began to snore.

Haru stared at his back in silence, unable to look away, feeling pain and compassion for the poor old man. His shirt was already soaked with blood. Fortunately, he had bandaged his wounds, so that the worst was over.

With his head on the grass and his hands behind it, he decided to follow his companion's example and take a little nap, too. The evening is still far away, so why not take advantage of such a rare opportunity. He closed his eyes and began to sink into the dream.

Suddenly, through the haze of sleep that covered his mind, he felt a slight but palpable nudge in the side. He sat up abruptly, looked around and just stood there, his eyes wide.