7 - Boy-space-friend

Christian was grinning as he met Rachelle outside on the streets, he was even jumping. 'Para kang ewan dyan!' Rachelle laughed, 'Ano bang nangyari?' she asked.

'Well, I passed the audition. I am up for the second level audition’

‘Talaga?! Wow! Congratulations!’

‘Ang saya lang... Mapakita lang sa kanila what I am capable of, masaya na ko dun... I never thought of this actually'

'Naks! Pahumble ka nanaman e. Kaya galingan mo sa mga susunod na auditons. Mahaba-haba pa yan.'

'Sure. Gagalingan ko. Sabi mo e. Kaya halika na, let's eat. I owe you big time... Thank you for singing with me a while ago!' at inakbayan ni Christian si Rachelle.

'Wow naman! So ililibre mo ko ha? Uy. magcoconcert ni Ed Sheeran dito!'

‘Really? So tara? Libre ko’

‘No! Nabanggit ko lang. I have a show so… I can’t. And sold out na tickets nun’

‘Oh! Sayang naman!’

‘Yeah… I really want to see him live! I really like his songs. Too much feels. Alam mo yun?’

Chrisitian snickered, ‘Yes, I am also an Ed Sheeran fan. Well… Hmmmmm… How about I treat you lunch for today?’

‘Sige. Pero saglit lang tayo ha. I have to get ready na rin kasi’

'Hah? For what?'

'Miss Saigon... Hello?!'

'Oh! I forgot! Sige, I'm gonna watch you today, Gigi Van Tranh!'

‘May ticket ka na for today’s show?’

‘Uhm. Wala’

‘Pano ka manonood?’

‘Let’s just say that, sa sobrang pogi ko, papapasukin ako dun sa loob even sa backstage’ he winked at her.

--

As a perk of the auditions, Christian and the other who are on the audition were granted a backstage access to Miss Saigon and they can even watch it because they have access in the orchestra section. Christian went inside the orchestra, he has to look up to watch because they are on a hollow section. He sat behind, making sure he is not visible to the crowd.

‘Hi. You are also auditioning, right?’ a man came towards him. He is tall as him, Caucasian, blonde, green-eyed and with a pointed nose. Christian figured out that he is not from London because he is not speaking that bewildering British accent.

‘Yes’ Christian answered,

‘I am Nicolas’ he offered his hand to Christian, ‘I am also at the auditions’

‘Oh, nice. I’m Christian, so you’re watching too?’

‘Yes, do you mind if I sit beside you?’

‘No problem. We got the best seat in the whole theatre’ Nicolas sat beside him, gazing up like they are having a star-gazing time.

‘Yeah. We can see everything, we can see the actors and how the music is made’

‘Yeah. Cool’ Christian agreed.

The whole theatre turned black, the show is about to start. Goosebumps started to grow on Christian’s back because of the dramatic intro music being played. The cast started walking in and out the stage, dressed as GIs and Vietnamese people. And she was there, he saw Gigi Van Tranh arguing with some random Vietnamese guy. To Christian’s surprise, Scarlett went out of the stage, then he remembers that she also plays Kim.

‘Wow, man’ said Nicolas.

‘Yeah. Wow’ said Christian

‘I mean that girl on stage right now, I never saw the cover Kim play but, man… She’s kinda cute’

Christian grinned.

The music started to intensify and they are now on the backstage scene of Dreamland, Vietnamese women started stripping off some clothes transforming into something fierce.

‘I give that virgin act a rest!’ Gigi Van Tranh shouted at Kim.

Wow - his initial reaction upon seeing how savage Gigi was.

He gulped down as he witness her strip down some clothes and revealing skin. Lots of skin. He cannot stare at her straight – like it is a sin staring at her wearing only a bikini. He held his breath as Gigi strike a sexy pose to the audience,

Welcome to Dreamland! the Engineer said..

A lively music played and everyone on stage are singing and dancing, there is so many to look at but his eyes were only fixed at Gigi van Tranh yet wincing every time she gets extra closer with a man.

The heat is on in Saigon! The girls are ready to screw. One of the slits here will be Miss Saigon and since we’re stuck here in hell, what’s a soldier to do. The stink is making me choke turns out this war is a joke, turns out the joke is on you…

After watching the first four minutes of the show, he is already convinced that Rachelle is the greatest Gigi van Tranh lived. Ever.

You all know her as the sex toy from Hanoi, Miss Gigi Van Tranh!

His forehead wrinkled as The Engineer called her in a filthy nickname but instantly froze as he saw how fierce her reaction was, like a sexy tigress ready to devour you in whole. Wildly.

If I’m your pin up, I’ll melt all your brass. Stuck on your ball with a pin in my ass.

Christian’s jaw dropped.

If you get me, you will travel first class. I’ll show you, we will make magic, cheri

‘Whoa’ he muttered

‘Hey, you okay, man?’ Nicolas asked him.

‘Huh? Oh… yes. I’m good’ Christian answered as he wiped beads of sweat on his forehead.

-----

After the show, Christian waited for Rachelle to walk her home.

‘So… ano sa tingin mo?’ Rachelle asked Christian

‘Huh?’

‘I mean of the show… and my performance’

‘Uhm… okay lang’

‘Okay lang?’

‘I-I mean you’re great, Shin! Ang galing mo. Galing ng voice mo… Great control huh. Yung voice mo talaga nagdala… Galing. Galing talaga nung voice’

‘Ahhhhh… Thank you’

'Dreammmm! The dream I long to find! The movie in my minddddd!' Christian mimicked Rachelle’s singing. Rachelle hit him on his arms twice, 'Sige mang asar ka pa! Ikaw talaga!'

'Eto naman, ang galing mo nga dun e! The dream I long to findddd-' Rachelle hit him again,

'Ouch!'

'Hmmm... Panget ba? Yung totoo?'

'Ang ganda kaya! Favorite ko nga yun e. Iba ka talaga! The movie in my mindddddd! Tignan mo LSS pa rin ako hanggang ngayon!'

'Ewan ko sayo! Niloloko mo ko e' she crossed her arms,

'No kidding. You did great, Shin.'

'Talaga?'

'Oo nga. Kaso nga lang yung pag sayaw mo hindi maayos'

‘Hah?’

‘Hayaan mo, tuturuan kita. Dapat ganito oh…’ he shaked his hips, ‘Ganun!’

Rachelle laughed. ‘Isa pa nga, di ko gets!’

‘Hay nako, may bayad na pag inulit! May bayad pagiging dance instructor ko!’

‘Sige na! Isa paaaa!’

‘Ayoko nga’ but he began shaking his hips and started a weird dance move. Rachelle laughed hard.

--

From that day on, Christian is watching Miss Saigon almost every day until he memorized every line of the musical.

Sometimes he would even say it out loud in cue with her, ‘I give that virgin act, oh rest!’ or ‘Fresh is only fresh once!’

The staff and crew also noticed their closeness that they started teasing him and Rachelle.

'Oh! Your boyfriend is here!' said Eva, the main Kim of the show, as she crossed her arms looking at Christian and grinning.

'He's not my boyfriend'

'It's boy-space-friend! A friend who is a boy, boy friend! Geez, Rachelle what are you thinking about?' Eva shook her head,

Christian grinned back at Eva.

'Christian!' someone called from behind

'Sir Cameron!'

'Come over here, young man. I've got something to tell you. Rachelle, I'm just gonna borrow him for a while, alright?' said Sir Cameron

'Go ahead Sir. Get him and never take him back'

Everyone in the room laughed and Christian pouted as he followed Sir Cameron outside.

'Time flies so fast. February's coming. How are things going?' asked Sir Cameron,

'Uh? Been practising a lot of songs lately, then I go here every day whenever there's a show. I am learning a lot. You know-'

'Silly. That's not what I am talking about. I mean, you and Rachelle...'

Christian looked stunned

Sir Cameron laughed at Christian's reaction 'Just kidding. Anyway, I just want to know if you are already advised that you and your other contenders are invited to West-End's Valentine's Day Ball this coming 14th of February.'

'Oh. Not yet Sir'

'Well, then now you know'

'Wow. That's great, Sir. But why? I mean, where not officially a member of West-End yet....'

'Stop being silly. You guys are already a part of this family. None of you are going away, each one of you are going to be a part of the cast.’

Christian’s eyes grew wider. ‘Y-you mean….’ He stuttered because of shock.

‘I will not let you go wander around Miss Saigon if I will just throw you away. So… Yes Christian, Welcome to the West End’

‘Thank you, Sir!’ he said jumping up and down like a child,

‘So I am expecting you to come...'

Christian nodded 'Yes, Sir!'

'Invitations are already being distributed now. You should have received yours now. All details are in there. You and the other boys should come huh? '

'I'll absolutely come, Sir!'

'Good. Alright. I'm heading now' said Sir Cameron as he went towards the exit,

'Oh... wait did I tell you what's the most exciting part of that event?' he asked

Christian shook his head.

'I see... you should bring a date. A date is a must... I'll see you there. Good luck' he grinned and went out
'Believe in the power of true love and destiny!' he said loudly as he closed the door