Chapter 5: Connect the Dots

"Let's go," Shino said as he started walking.

"Come on, Hinata," Ino said as she pulled her friend's arm.

"But, Ino, I want to help Naruto stand up," Hinata said, starting for Naruto.

Ino didn't budge as she dragged her along. "No, he'll catch up to us eventually. Leave him alone. You and I need to have a talk."

She kept a firm grasp on Hinata's arm and jabbed at Shino's chest.

"Shino, you keep Naruto away from us because at this rate, I'm going to end up killing him before we even get started on this mission. Hinata and I are going to have a chat. I want some privacy. You know what I'm talking about."

She glanced at him meaningfully.

Shino nodded. "Go on," he said.

"Thanks, Shino."

He held up a hand, though, staying her for a moment before she left.

"Ino, I know how you feel, but take it easy on Naruto."

Ino opened her mouth to protest.

Shino continued, "Why? Because he's had a hard life—harder than the rest of us. He lacks a lot of skills because he doesn't know any better. We've had parents to show us how to act in certain situations."

Ino's anger faded. She sighed. "You're right, Shino. I just keep forgetting—he's not a normal person."

She pulled at Hinata and increased her pace. "Come on, Hinata."

When they were finally at a distance where they couldn't be heard, she turned to Hinata. "Are you really sure Naruto's the one you want? It's not too late, you know. You can—should—change your mind."

Hinata glanced back at Naruto, who'd stood up, gingerly rubbed his butt, then angrily brushed at his pants. He saw the distance between them and started running to catch up. She could see that his eye was already swollen and the bruise was starting to turn blue.

"Ino, that was terrible!" he was yelling. "Wait up, you jerks!"

Her eyes filled with love. "Yes, I'm sure."

Ino rolled her eyes. "Fine, I knew you'd say that. But Hinata, you're so wasted on him! There are so many other guys who'd love to be with you, but you just won't give them a chance."

Hinata suddenly laughed. "I know, and it's terrible of me. But I've loved him since we were young, and my feelings for Naruto haven't changed one bit."

She shrugged. "I can't help it."

Ino looked at Naruto, who'd caught up with Shino and was being restrained. Their captain was being true to his word and was giving the girls the chance to talk.

She sighed. "He's not all bad, I have to admit. He's certainly heroic, as we all got to see."

She continued to watch Naruto as he argued with Shino, periodically pointing at them. Shino shook his head. Naruto sulked, then shrugged as he gave up arguing. He put his hand in his pocket and smiled. He waved at her with his other hand. The damage she'd done to his eye was already forgotten—and forgiven.

Ino squirmed guiltily, but she kept on walking.

The boys continued trailing them. Shino kept silent, Naruto jabbering away, but both alert to potential danger.

The girls walked on.

A last glance back showed Ino that Naruto was silent, scratching his head. He caught her looking at him and that puzzled look came back over his face. It reminded her again why she was so mad at him.