Chapter 3

Katy's Perspective

"How did you miss that news?!" My boss screamed at one of my coworkers. We could hear her from outside the conference hall."

"Should we prep-" Naomi, one of my coworkers whispered next to me. But before she could finish, the office door swung open and one of our co-workers ran out in panic, nearly dropping his camera.

"You're fired! You hear me?! You useless----"

"Yeah we should" I finished Naomi's sentence. I knew what she was talking about and it's likely that everyone in the room did too. We carefully helped our now, ex-co-worker pack his things.

"No other news outlet reported about it, the news was released so suddenly," he whined with his head down, "the company itself announced it. How could she blame me for not getting coverage?" Naomi and I stayed quiet. We didn't know how to respond.

As I picked up the last items and placed them carefully in his box, our boss called on me,"Kathryn! Office, now!"

I shook a little and Rose looked at me with eyes wide open. I probably looked like I wanted to pee. Cause that's how I felt- scared shitless.

I knocked twice before entering, "Yes Chief?" I swallowed.

"Sit down."The moment she said that, my eyes wandered around the room. And let me tell you this... if I wanted to just pee earlier, now I needed a shower. I am sweating profusely!

The room was a mess!

Folders and papers about the Bulletproof Boys scattered on the floor and the chairs were dissarranged as if an earthquake just occured.

I carefully pulled a chair in from the corner and sat in front of hell---her.
In front of her...

She was keenly reading something off of her screen before turning to me.

"Your work isn't bad," she briefly acknowledged me.

I'm a paid intern and my work is usually just proofreading and editing and occasionally press releases... and sometimes media posts as well. Like a regular intern, I'm placed wherever they need a hole to fill.

"T-th-thank you,"

"It could be better." She voiced and a huge lump of nothingness clouded my throat. I couldn't swallow it down.

"I-I-I I will improve-"

"You have to," she didn't let me finish "that's not a suggestion. It's a requirement. But so far I like that you're useful."

"T-Thank you" what the heck am I doing here? Can't she just get to the point? I'm shaking. I'm sweating. I'm pretty sure I need to pee. Why are intimidating people so insensitive too?

"I'm assigning you to a new project." I stayed quiet and she continued,"If you can successfully complete it, you will officially be part of our company. Not as an intern, but as an official employee, right after college,"I couldn't answer so she spoke once more,"Well?"

"W-what...uhm..what project?" I stuttered.

"It's a 1-month project, that will test your perseverance and your credibility as a journalist. And if you're really meant for this field of work, especially under ThisPath "

I really don't like where this is going...

"Do you know Justin of Bulletproof Boys?"

_______________________________
Katy-Yeri
Naomi-Nayeon
ThisPath-Dispatch