Excerpt

"Carla, you're going to have to give us more than that. We can't seriously publish whatever you said, even if it's the truth. He's a smart and dedicated businessman. One wrong move and he could file a lawsuit against us. If he sues us, that's the end of Pearl Press." Steve said.

"I know it's hard to believe but I guess you're right. He's gay. I know it, I overheard their conversation. They're having issues because his lover is jealous and sick of the charade. He is captured publicly everyday with top models and influential females just for the sake of appearances. His secretary didn't inform him I was coming up because she just assumed it was time for my appointment with him. The prick didn't even allow us interview him. He declined and sent the whole team out after delaying us." I replied.

I loved my job. I loved my team. We all had our good and bad days but lately it seemed all we got was bad days. The interview with Curtis O'Brien was a great opportunity and our stepping stone to recovery. Pearl Press was just not my job, it was my family. A family that I wasn't willing to give up on. A true family unlike my blood family.
I had to find a way. If he wasn't going to grant us that interview then the only way was to print the dirt we had on him. But since there was no proof to back it up, we were at a great risk of facing a defamation lawsuit or being labeled as one of those trashy blogs that print whatever they can in order to stay relevant.

I had to find a way to get on top of it all. I couldn't seduce the man. He was gay; clearly doesn't find boobs fascinating. Even meeting up with him was a hassle. Chance Roth was my only shot. He was a business associate and also a friend of his. I let out a sigh as I pick up my phone and dial the one number I shouldn't be calling.

Chance.

I've known Chance since college and even back then he was so smart and determined. I've never met a person so diligent till date. He has had this silly crush on me since like forever and claims it's love.

Oh don't get me wrong. The man was definitely attractive.  In fact, too attractive for his own good. I regarded him more or less as a big brother. A great friend. Funny, successful & hardworking. He was everything a girl could ever dream of but still, I was indifferent about him. Last year, I had to come clean and tell him directly that I wasn't ready to get involved with him or any man anytime soon and that I only saw him as a good friend. I wasn't in love, I just simply enjoyed his company. I made myself clear and ever since then, he respected my decision and kept his distance. I didn't mind though since we still kept in touch from time to time.

With all the history we had, I knew it wasn't right to be calling him just to get an audience with his friend, Mr. O'Brien.

But I did it anyways.
Why?
Because I was a selfish & desperate bitch right now.

Lost in my thoughts, It wasn't until the second time I heard his deep voice call my name impatiently.

Chance was a busy man.