✎ volleyball games

"Alana! Come get breakfast!"

"Alright! One second!"

The promised 'one second' turned into a solid five minutes as Alana struggled to pull her long wavy brown hair into a decent braid. She combed her bangs so that they covered the majority of her forehead and hopped down the hallway while simultaneously pulling socks on. When she finally made it to the bottom of the stairs, skipping the last few, her mom greeted her with a banana and granola bar, shoving them into her arms.

"What?" Alana stared at the less than appetizing 'meal' in her hands. "What happened to pancakes?"

Anastasia laughed as she moved back to the sizzling pan on the oven. "Unless you want to eat the snacks, those are for Callum."

Alana lips formed a perfect o.

"I figured since he's at school all day, something to eat on the way home wouldn't hurt. Now come eat your pancakes before they get cold. Syrup's on the table."

As she cut her breakfast into neat squares, Alana wondered, not for the first time, what Callum was thinking right about then. His volleyball team was in a game against the county's best team from last year's tournament, the very tournament they'd lost in. She knew Callum was eager to win this one, even if it was just a practice match. They lived in a more desolate area of North Carolina, so bigger games and opponents were few.

Alana usually attended his practice matches to watch him play, since they had both played in elementary school. She hadn't wanted to continue competitively in junior high, but Callum had always been passionate about volleyball and was actually really good at it.

So on Saturdays she helped him practice, and on Sundays she watched him come to life. She'd never admit it, but it was her favorite way to start the week.

"Hey kiddo!" Her step-dad ruffled her hair on his way to the coffee maker, much to Alana's annoyance. But she didn't say anything - the small gesture of affection was better than none at all. She had a feeling he knew it bothered her, which made it all the more meaningful.

Alana waved and popped the last piece of fluffy pancake in her mouth before rinsing off her plate and slinging her mini backpack over her shoulder. As she pulled her shoes on, she allowed her mind to wander once more. But the alert half of her brain caught a few words between her parents that made her furrow her brows.

"Morning, Anastasia."

"So I get a greeting this morning?"

Ryan sighed. "I always say good morning."

"Mhm."

Alana shut the door behind her, brushing off the conversation. Her parents, like any couple, bickered from time to time, and there was no reason to stick around to listen. Her mind was shifting gears, already laying out the day's plans.

══════════════════

Dear Lana,

Sorry for the late reply, I had to wake up early today. I'm emailing you from outside my cave (bedroom) today. Thought you should know.

I heard dropping all electronic time before you go to bed helps you fall and stay asleep. So, you know. . .STOP EMAILING ME WHEN YOU SHOULD BE SLEEPING!!

Anyways, how's school? Make any new friends? You and I both know you could use a few more :)

Gotta sign off now, duty calls. Don't forget I'm here to talk if need be.

I always do,

Clay.

[ sent 10:00 am ]