The Long Shift

Before you read: I do not own these characters as I stated in the description of this book. If any characters were to be added to this book I will write their twitch name in the chapter or again in the description. Also this is purely fiction. These characters are not real. Thank you to Curvyelepant and Sock22 for creating Matt Rhodes and Richard Dark and bringing into the NoPixel community. 

"Dad, are you going back into work tonight?" Sydney asked. Matt carefully tucked the blankets right up to Sydney's chin. Her big brown eyes stared back at Matt for confirmation. Though, she already knew his response. Her dad was a Sergeant for the Blaine County Sheriff's Office and it was his duty to protect the city of Los Santos. Of course, he would be going back into work while Sydney slept. She admired him for that. His dedication kept criminals off the streets and locked away. One day, maybe she would join alongside her father as a member of the BSCO.

Matt lightly placed a kiss against Sydney's forehead. "Get some sleep, Syd. You'll need all your energy to help Dad take care of Cody and Flop in the morning. I'll be back before you know it, my little Deputy." Sydney nodded and snuggled further into her blankets. Her eyes slowly began to close as Matt exited her room. It had only been a short time since Richard and Matt had adopted Sydney, but she fit right in. Sydney had taken on the role of big sister very quickly after meeting Flop and Cody.

"Take that car Cody!" Flop yelled. Speaking of the boys. Matt descended the stairs, and he could already see the bright T.V. lights still on in the family room. "No, I'm gonna take the cop car Flop." He still didn't understand why Richard let them buy that filthy game. He would never encourage such a purchase. The boys seemed to love Grand Theft Auto V even if it encouraged criminal activity.

Matt passed by the family room and into the kitchen where he found Richard making a late-night snack. "As long as the boys don't see us I'm okay with sharing that ice cream with you" Matt joked.

"Who said I was sharing?" Richard scoffed. He pulled the bowl closer to his chest and took out a huge spoonful of chocolate ice cream.

"Oh, I see how it is! Boys!" Matt called into the other room. Immediately, they heard the scramble of footsteps from the family room to the kitchen. Richard quickly tried to hide the ice cream into one of the island cabinets. Cody came to a speeding halt in his police onesie while Flop walked slowly with his arms crossed behind.

"Yes, Matt?" Flop asked. He was still getting used to Richard and Matt as his dads. He wasn't sure if they wanted him to call them Dad. Richard didn't seem to mind, but he wasn't close to Matt. Richard had been the one to pick him up after the adoption while Matt was on duty. Cody and Matt seemed to click better than him and Matt.

"Your father just wanted to inform you it's time for bed. Shut off the game and head upstairs." Richard announced.

"That's not what I was go..." Matt started, "Please boys. I'll be up to tuck you in soon." Cody and Flop gave their dads a questioning eyebrow before heading to the family room once again to shut off their game.

"Why do you deserve any ice cream when you picked up an extra shift tonight, again?" Richard questioned. This was the third time this week Richard had barely seen his husband. They used to see each other all the time at work, but now he barely saw Matt at all.

"Richard, we have house payments! You've taken a leave of absence, so I need to pick up the bills around here and pay the kids' allowances." Matt argued.

"I don't want you to get hurt, Matt. Eugene is still out there and I'm not there to protect you right now." Richard had been tracking Eugene for quite some time, but the old man was still out there while he was here with his kids. Matt could be his prime target, and he wouldn't even know it. He wouldn't let anything happen to his husband.

"I'll be fine. We've been through so much together, and we have so many years to go. You can't get rid of me that easily. Plus, then you would be stuck with house payments to pay."

"You're right. I love you, Matt."

"I love you, too, Richard."