seven ━━ there is no point in having faith

CHAPTER SEVEN: there is no point in having faith

━━━━━━━━

❛ and all the love is 𝙜𝙤𝙣𝙚 ❜

     THE LAST THING Jason Todd remembered was watching the only person he's given his heart run in the opposite direction, tears streaming down her cheeks as she clutched a small child to her. He tried not to cry, he swore he did. He bit his tongue until he tasted metal, squeezed his eyes shut until the tears burnt, and he clenched his fist until his blunt nails dug so far into his callous eyes that small drops of blood fell to the ground. No matter how hard he tried, the sob still escaped his hand that held the detonator trembling as he tried to gain the courage to do what he needed to do. When the paradooms got closer, their shrieking covering up his cries, Jason faced them, waited for them to get closer, and then pressed the button right as one lunged for him.

     Please forgive me, he had whispered to the sky, hoping that someday Amara would be able to understand why he did what he did. But as he waited for Death to visit him for the second time in his life, he realized that no one was coming. This time, he was stuck in a place full of darkness, unable to open his eyes or move his body. He tried to speak but his lips wouldn't move. Was this his own personal Hell? Was Death so irritated that it would have to collect his soul again that it hadn't even bothered to send him anywhere? And yet, after what seemed like decades, his fingers twitched and his eyes opened.

     Jason was alive. The paradoom that had come towards him had somehow successfully grabbed him and got out before the explosion could do much damage to either of them. It had direct orders from Darkseid to retrieve him so the new god could make him into the same type of monster the rest of the Justice League had become. Darkseid had only wanted Jason for a reason that did not occur to him until he came face to face with a brainwashed Batman who explained that their master had wanted only him because he had been under the impression that the traces of the Lazarus Pit in his bloodstream could prove useful in some way.