eight ━━ but what if we meet again?

CHAPTER EIGHT: but what if we meet again?

━━━━━━━━

❛ she whispered into the 𝙣𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 ❜

     SOMEHOW THEY WERE lucky enough to make it out alive. Trigon ended up splitting from Superman, staying behind with Darkseid to fight him for the rest of eternity, giving them all a chance to return to their broke world. Jason did not want to return and yet his legs began to move, taking him through the portal, back to Earth, or what was left of it at least. His feet carried him all the way to the Lexcorp tower and no one stopped him. Damian, who had been brought back to life by Raven, watched his older brother go without saying a word. They all knew what he was going through, especially Superman who had just lost his wife. Wife.

     Jason wondered if that's what he would have called Amara if fate hadn't gotten in the way, destroying any chance they had at making a life together. Would they have moved into their own place? Would they have gotten a pet? Would they have had kids? Would they have died in a hospital, old and wrinkly instead of at the end of a gun or a knife? Maybe, just maybe. Or perhaps this is how it was supposed to go all along. Perhaps they were doomed to fall, worlds away from one another. Perhaps they were never meant to grow old and have kids of their own after getting married in front of their friends and family.

     As he stared at the ruins of Lexcorp tower, he realized that fate would not have allowed them the luxury of dying in each other's arms. Fate would have never let them put rings on each other's fingers and kiss as cheers erupted around them. Because fate was cruel, destiny was malicious, and the universe just didn't give a damn. They were just two people in a world of others, they didn't matter, they were insignificant. And yet, Amara met the world to him.