The Recovery (a Niall Horan fanfic)

Prologue

It was only a few minutes, but to Serena Millovich, it felt like hours. The news she was about to hear was life-changing.

She calmed herself as the doctor entered the room with the results. "Serena,....succes" she said as calm as possible even though she was filled with joy for her long-time patient. Serena's jaw dropped but quickly turned into a smile before she hugged her doctor and jumped for joy, she could finally live life to the fullest without any worries. The first person she called was her mother who cried over the phone as soon as she heard the news, her daughter was now cancer-free. She did'nt bother to call other relatives because she new that within a few seconds her mother would've already spread the word within the whole neighborhood. The next person she called were her friends/former roommates, Samantha, Olivia and Bethany, they were so happy to get her back, instead of going to treatments they could go out together. To celebrate, Bethany planned a get-together where the four of them would meet i n London. Each of them cancelled thier plans for one day to see each other. Thay all agreed to meet at the small cafe next to the bakery where they would always meet when they were still in London. Serena finally boarded the plane, her seat was first class. Before the plane took off, a blond boy sat next to her.

At first, they did'nt mind each other, Serena found herself in a very awkward situation so she took out her iPod to avoid conversation. The blond boy seemed to be peeking at her iPod befor he said "Oh, do you like Michael Buble? I like him too" Serena could'nt help but notice his familiar Irish accent, she looked up at him and realazed "Oh my gosh... you're Niall Horan! My friend Thalia is a huge fan of One Direction! You're her favorite" She looked in her bag for paper for him to sign and she found a notebook then she just ripped out a page "Uh, i don't have a pen..." she blurted out feeling very stupid. He was kind enough not to laugh at her, instead he smiled at her and said "Oh that's ok, I think I have one" he cheked his backpocket and pulled out a pen and signed the paper. "Thank you" she said as she took the paper and put it inside her notebook.

She was about to start listening to music when Niall cheekily asked"And you're not a fan of One Direction?"\"its not that, I just don't have time to focus on the latest boybands... ive been really...busy" she trailed off. But he would'nt stop asking questions, most of them were about food, others about favorites, likes, dislikes and hobbies...they were getting to know each other, the plane ride was gonna last for a few hours. She didn't know why, but she was amazed at the complexion of his cheeks, they were bright and reddish, maybe its because most of the patients at the hospital were pale, including herself. While Niall was eating, Serena fell asleep leaning her haed in the window.

She woke up a few minutes later to find a warm green scarf wrapped around her neck. She asked Niall "Uh, is this your scarf? Did you put this on my neck?" He smiled and let out a laugh before he replied "You looked a little pale while you were sleeping, I was just concerned". She just smiled back, she thought it was sweet that he was concerned for a stranger. Then they got to know each other a little more, they found out they were total opposites but they didn't mind... they were having fun.

It was announced that the plane was going to land in a few minutes. Serena noticed that Niall was nervously playing with his hands. "Um, are you ok?" she asked. Still looking down Niall said "I'm fine...just nervous", then he flashed a smile for half a second. Serena shrugged it off and looked out the window, she figured it's just about time to land. When they landed, Serena immedietly stood up and started walking, Niall stood up a few seconds later, he was able to catch up to Serena before she got intoa cab. "Oh Niall! I almost forgot! Your scarf" She shouted as she saw him running towards her. He finally reached Serena out fo breath, then she was about to take off the scarf when Niall stopped her holding her wrist. He took a deep breath and smiled while saying "keep it, it's yours". She froze, she was flattered by the gesture, but she couldn't keep the scarf, she insisted on giving it back but he wouldn't take it. "I told you, it's yours...anyway I just came by to ask for your number so that one day i'll take you to Nandos to show you how amazing it is" he said with confidence.

She laughed and said "Sure, i'll give you my number, but Nandos?...erm...I have to think about that" lightly elbowing his arm. She wrote her number on his hand, then he said "I can't wait to see you ag-" BEEP BEEP "Hey! you gonna get in the cab or not?!?" interrupted the cab driver. Serena realized she left the cab door open for a while "One second! Well...its nice meeting you but I gotta go" she said before she got in the cab and left.

In that moment, Niall realized....... he forgot to ask her name.