CHAPTER NINE

Vanessa was back to work after spending a few days in bed. She refused to let anyone in her room apart from Miranda, Alex and Mark and occasionally other people who just wanted somewhere and someone to vent to such as Meredith and Cristina.

She had made sure everyone did everything they could to stop Owen from coming in, not wanting to see him because he was the reason she and Mark couldn't get back into surgery and she was extremely angry about his violent outburst. 

"Doctor Hunt." She heard a voice behind her and she turned to see a nurse calling for her, "I have the labs you requested but I was advised by Doctor Bailey to cut your patients in half so she's taken some of them. These are the ones you need to be concerned with." 

Vanessa groaned internally, sighing as she took the results from the nurse's hands, thanking her and walking away, looking over her charts and replacing the ones that Bailey had taken. She didn't want to give up her patients but she decided it was for the best, she still got dizzy spells sometimes.

"Vanessa," She heard her brother walking up to her and she immediately turned on her heel, walking the other way quickly, doing her best to walk away from him, "Vanessa." He repeated more sternly, forcing her to stop involuntarily.

"Go away, Owen." She said bluntly, turning around quickly and glaring at him, trying to deter him from coming any closer. It worked. He stopped walking but continued looking at her with his puppy dog eyes. 

"I'm sorry, I-I didn't mean to do...that. I tried to visit you a lot but they wouldn't let me in - I just wanted to say I'm sorry." He rambled and she just stared at him, wanting nothing more than to hug him but she knew he did something wrong and he needed to know that.

"Owen. I just need time okay? You gave me a concussion and you beat up another doctor. I just think I need some space, alright?" She spoke calmly and she didn't raise her voice, not wanting to make things worse than they were already.

Owen stood there for a moment before nodding his head to show he understood. Vanessa nodded her head once before walking past him and to her first patient.

***

"I mean he just thinks he can swoop back in after injuring me and Mark and everything would be fine?" Vanessa was ranting to Alex while he crunched on some crisps he got from the vending machine.

"Aren't you overreacting slightly? I mean I understand he hurt you and...Mark? But he wasn't really in his right mind." He commented, not really taking it seriously. 

Vanessa sat cross-legged on the abandoned gurney and considered his opinion. She hadn't really spoken to Mark since the night after the fight, he seemed to be avoiding her and she was starting to become tired of it. Maybe she should talk to Owen like adults, maybe she should try and help him through whatever he was struggling with.

"Do you think I should talk to him?" She asked, looking over at Alex who was sat next to her.

"'S not what I would do so, yeah. You should go and talk to him." He replied, patting her leg and pushing himself off of the bed, going somewhere Vanessa didn't know, so she too pushed herself off of the bed and went to her next patient, mentally preparing what she was going to say to her brother.

"So Mr and Mrs Smith, your daughter has been complaining of migraines? Any tiredness or nausea?" She asked as she walked into the room.

"Yes." Both parents replied worriedly and Vanessa smiled gently at them.

"I know this must be difficult for you. I'm Doctor Hunt and I'm a paediatric surgeon who is going to do my best to help your daughter as much as I can." She smiled warmly and the parents began to relax.