Wish upon a...

Dara has known Chanyeol since the day when they still couldn't even spell out their names. He was the one who happily filled her new Sunday dress' pockets with live tadpoles, and she hated him for that. She'd seen him during his ugliest and even witnessed how much he struggled after his historical circumcision when they were both eight.

Chanyeol has known Dara since the day when they still believed that Santa Claus existed. She was the one who wickedly cut paper doll's outfits out of his precious Spiderman comics collection, and he hated her for that. He'd seen her during her ugliest and was actually the first one to notice the "red stain" after she got her first period when they were both eleven.

They both hated each other, but they grew up together as the best of friends. Dara would ask to be saved by him after realizing her date's a complete jerk, and Chanyeol would seek advice from her whenever he's having a hard time dealing with his recent girl conquest. She refers to "them girls" as conquest, because he was never ever serious with anyone.

They're partners, allies, best friends, but never lovers. Such idea hasn't ever occurred to them.

He'd say "Not in a million years."

She'd say "Hilarious. Really hilarious."

Or so they thought...

***

Chanyeol would always spot Dara in their veranda staring up in the dark sky. He'd always end up curious, so one night, he tried to surprise her from behind and incidentally, he heard her utter the lamest thing on earth.

"Star light, star bright. First star I see tonight. Wish I may. Wish I might. Have my wish come true tonight."

Then he saw how his best friend closed her eyes slowly and murmured something to herself.

"She's weird. Totally weird." He told himself.

"BOO!"

Dara went from scared to annoyed, victimized by his childish prank again. She quickly composed herself and started hitting him hard for eavesdropping.

Chanyeol apologized, apologized and apologized but she seemed to fall on deaf ears. He spotted a shrub, so from there he picked one tiny flower (the pink one, because it's her favorite color of course) and handed it to her.

She smiled, touched by his action, and gave up. She forgave him and made him promise not to do such thing anymore.

Then Chanyeol sat next to her and stared up in the sky with a look that seemed like he was trying to solve a puzzle.

"What are you doing?" Dara asked, confused.

"Trying to figure out what you were doing a while ago." Chanyeol replied seriously and went on staring up in the sky.

She nodded and casually told him that she's been wishing upon a star.

"Which star?" He asked curiously.

She pointed to the 'star' that she's been wishing upon every night.

He laughed out loud profusely, emphasizing that she's been wishing on a planet, not a star.

"Stupid!" And he laughed some more.

She felt numb, awed at the sudden discovery that she was indeed so stupid. Stupid because she didn't realize that it's the planet Venus and not one of the billions of stars in the galaxy she's been wishing upon all this time.

Dara's really no good in Astronomy. She abruptly hated hating Science in grade school and even during the high school. She cursed the fact that she excels better in English and Literature.