Special Moment Short Story

Summary: A special and last moment between two sisters.

COPYRIGHT ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ©

The ice cream melted in my mouth on a hot summer day. We were lucky to find the stand sitting by the beach, selling marvelous treats. I ordered my younger sister vanilla ice cream. I had to buy her it, she looked at me with those pleading bright blue eyes. I couldn't have said no. I had bought myself some, a chocolate ice cream instead. It was the only money we had. We were homeless at the moment, but I always promised my sister I would get us everything we wanted. She was my best friend and helped me out with money. Today, I would do anything for her.

  I wanted this moment to last. Last forever and ever. I hated having to let my sister go. I never knew this time would come. Just a few years ago she seemed fine and now she had cancer. She was only six. Why did this have to happen to her? Why wasn't it me instead? It wasn't fair, but I knew I had to act happy and normal around her. She would only get worried and depressed if I acted any different.

  This was our special moment together,watching the sunset go down while licking our ice creams. The sunlight shined on her bare head. Not a hair could be seen. I didn't like all the sorrowful looks that came our way. I didn't want their pity. My sister didn't notice it, or it was that she was ignoring it. 

  I held on to her hand and forced a smile on my face. "Life is like a ice cream isn't it? One second its perfectly shaped and the next it just melts away."

  My sister shocked me with that comment. I knew it! I knew it was on her mind! She was good at hiding her emotions, unlike me.

"I will never forget this special moment with you." I say to her, a sob coming to my throat.

 "Neither will I." We hug one another till her eyes shut tight and her heart no longer moves.

 I sob to myself and only look at the pleasant stars and moon.I ask myself why one last time, before I let the insanity take over me too. It wasn't fair...It's not... As I fall asleep after my short rage and tantrum, I remember my sister. I remember our last moment and I look at the sand and see the melted vanilla ice cream sparkling under the moon's light. 

"I miss you already."