Mika's Love

Hi, my name is Mika Lovegood, and this is my story of how something tragic happened to me and my best friend. So let's begin the journey of my story!

He had just moved into the town. It's a fairly small town, but not the kind of small town you are thinking of, where everyone knows everyone's business, but words spread like wildfire. On the first day of grade ten, that's when he saw me. It was a windy day, I had long blond hair that flowed in the wind. I could tell he thought that I was cute. For the rest of the day, he couldn't stop staring at me.

To my surprise, at the end of the day, I found myself asking him to walk home with me. He was taken aback. Shakily, he asked. "Where do you live?" 

"Just down the street, next to the old shipyard. Where do you live?” I pushed my hair behind my ears. “Oh, and I never caught your name."

His face turned red. "Oh, uh... I'm Aaron, nice to meet you. And I live just down the street." 

"Mika..." I said.

"What?"

"Mika, that's my name."

The red shade of his face deepened. "N-nice to you, Mika." His voice came out weak. I was puzzled. 

"Are you feeling okay? Your face is as red as a rose." He paused for a second, before a look of realization appeared on his face. Then I laughed at him. "You must have mistaken me for a girl, didn't you?" 

"Y- yes, I did." He said, as he kept his eyes on the ground. 

"Oh, that's cute. You're kind of cute, too! You know what? You can keep thinking I'm a girl. Everyone in my family does. Well, not my dad." I gave him a kind smile. "I'm going to like having you as my best friend." 

So, then I walked home with him. When we reached my house, he turned around to face me. I had the same smile still plastered on my face. 

"Would you like to come in to meet my mom and dad?” He asked. 

"Yes, I would love to." I replied. "But your face is still red. Are you still embarrassed that you thought I was a girl?" 

He looked down again. "Yes." 

I gazed at him with warm eyes. "How about I come over after dinner?" I said. 

"Sounds good to me,” He exclaimed. “I can't wait for you to meet my parents!"

 I threw my hands up in the air. "Woah there, buckaroo, we just met. You should take me out to dinner first." I said, giggling like a girl. He then gave me a weird look, and I blushed hard, very uncomfortable. 

"Woah, that's so gay." He said. 

I just stared at him. "What? There is nothing wrong with liking boys." I said, going in for a hug, and a little peck on the cheek. "One day I will get you to kiss me, or I'll make you my boyfriend. Or maybe both." 

"What? That's not what I meant…” His voice trailed off. “Wait, what? Are you interested in guys?" 

"So, what if I am..." I said, taking a step back. 

"That's not much of an answer."

"Okay... I find guys more attractive, yes." I answered. I leaned forward and poked him on the nose. "I think you are, too." Then, I said. "See you after dinner." And I ran home.  

We're sixteen and I was so comfortable with my sexuality, then there's him, who I know is gay, but I wasn’t sure if he knew that yet.

Later that afternoon, I went over to Aaron’s and asked if he would like to come over for dinner, because I was too excited to wait any longer. Instead of giving me an answer, he invited me inside and introduced me to his mom, who I apparently already knew.