Two Worlds Collide

I see it's shadow. Hiding behind the tree. To my left I see a quick glimpse of the doe's white tail. That must be a buck behind the tree. His antlers stick out slightly, giving me just a good view of his face. 8 point buck. If I hit this sucker it'll be my first 8 pointer of the season.

"Eric lunch!" My mom yells from the back deck. I turn around slowly holding up my index finger telling her to give me a minute. I turn back around and the buck is gone. I see it leap away. I swear that thing turned around and smirked at me. Thanks to my mom, we won't be having deer for dinner tonight.

I walk back through the woods and onto the back deck taking off my boots and hunting gear. I rinse off with the hose and walk inside to my lunch on the kitchen bar.

"Shoot anything?" My dad asks, taking a bite of his sandwich.

"No, but I would have if mom hadn't of yelled at me!" I say glancing at my mom to see what she has to say. Instead she just continues to make sandwiches, which I'm guessing are for my little brother and sister.

"Daddy!" My 7 year old sister Macy exclaims coming down the hall. "There's people movin in next door!"

"Is there really?" My dad asks. He gets up from the bar stool and walks over to the window next to the front door and peeks through the blinds. "Ha, there is! I'm gonna go see if they need help unpacking furniture."

"Oh Ma, I gotta get some things for my science project. $15 bucks and the truck, please?" She gives me a look, but then opens up her wallet and pulls out the money.

"Be careful, and if you go anywhere else, text me." I take the keys off the counter and the money from her hands, jumping over my little sister and out the front door. Quickly looking up at the moving truck next door, while climbing in my dads truck, I see 2 adults and a guy, about my age, maybe older, along with my dad, unloading the moving truck. I start the truck and pull out of the driveway.

Made it to WalMart in no time by taking the backroads and going about 85 mph. There's really no speed limits out there, being that those roads aren't real roads. Just some my dad and some buddies put down to make it easier for us to get to town. I grab a buggy walking into the store. Pulling out my 'Science Project Items' list from my pocket, the first thing I go to get is a tri-fold.

Markers, check.

Colored paper, check.

Ruler, check.

Scissors...

Long, wavy brown hair. Captivating brown eyes. A fitted pink tank top with a black cheer jacket. Tight...really tight skinny jeans...... - - - she catches me staring, I turn away quickly. I cock my head to the side to catch another look at her and she sees me doing so and smiles.

"I'm Conner," she says.

"Conner? Wow that's a cool name for a girl." I can feel my heart racing.

"Yeah, I guess my parents wanted a boy, but they got me. You live around here?" She asks grinning slightly showing off her dimples.

"I live a little ways from here, I live out on Baron Road. You?" I ask, grabbing a pack of scissors.

"Oh, that road sounds familiar. Well, not really. I'm from New York," she says rolling her eyes. "No hate or anything, but I'm just not a country girl. Obviously I'm from a big city, which makes me a city girl. I just haven't adapted to this environment yet."

I feel a sting in my chest when she says that. What does she think we are? Country bumpkins? "Oh, I see. I have to go...can I have your number? Maybe we could meet up some time and hang out?" I ask pulling out my cell.

"That'd be nice," she says, "555-2106. Ill see you later!" She walks away and I catch my self staring at her butt. Quickly I type in her number on my phone and walk the opposite way.

"Wait, you! I didn't get your name?" She says running back over to me, her brown hair swishing back and forth.

"Eric," I say smiling, holding my hand out to shake hers.

"Bye, Eric!" She says smiling and shaking my hand. We both part our separate ways and I continue to find the things I need for my project.