majority

courtney .

the date was august seventh, and the time was around seven fourty five am. i was nervous. actually, no i wasn't. pretend i didn't say that. i was .. wondering what my new school would be like.

my parents and i had moved from canada to new york over the summer, and to be honest, i was ready to have a fresh start. i'd get to surround myself with new people. and sure, not everyone would like me, but the only thing that matters is the majority.

if the majority of the students liked me, the majority would vote for me to be student body president, and that majority would follow me to bigger and better things.

that, ladies and gentlemen, is why i have to make a good impression. if not, everything just falls apart!

i stepped into the school. it smelled just like an american high school, you know? it looked just like the ones in the tv shows and movies i watched growing up. of course, i hadn't seen one in a long time. it's a part of growing up, you know ?

a sign in the lobby directs me to the office. i make my way there, smoothing my jeans as i walk, and eventually get inside. it's warm and welcoming, as it should be.

a girl with bright red hair steps looks toward me and smiles. “oh my gosh, are you courtney ?”

“yes.” i say.

“i'm zoey, i'll be your tour guide for today. you're gonna love it here, i promise!”

“oh! nice to meet you, zoey.”

the girl takes my hand and begins to show me around. we cover the gym, the hallways, library, and cafeteria.

after we stop in a certain hallway, she looks at my schedule. “oh! you have mr. dwayne's class for first period! nice, it's just the last door on your left.”

“what you doing out here, dollface?”

i hear a voice behind me. i turn around to see a good looking guy, his hair was jet black and had piercings on his ears, nose and eyebrow. he wasn't my type, but i couldn't even lie ... he was hot.

“babe, why are you always skipping?” zoey asks, annoyed. “courtney, this is duncan, my boyfriend.”

oh, boyfriend.

“stop acting innocent around the new chick!” he whispers to me, “she totally skips with me all the time.”

i giggle. but, as much as i like to chat with people, i need to get to class. education comes before everything.

“well, it was nice meeting you guys, but i've gotta get going.”

i wave at them and head to the classroom where zoey told me to go. i slowly opened the door, a smile on my face.

a man, who i assumed was mr. dwayne, gave a a smile back. “oh, that's right! we have a new student! well, guys, this is courtney. have a seat.”

i do as he says and sit next to this asian girl, who turned her attention to me as soon as i sat down.

“hey, new girl! i don't normally talk to the new kids because they're usually losers, but can i just say, you're gorgeous!”

i smile. “thanks. what's your name?”

“heather. these are my friends, lindsay and taylor.”

they wave at me. “oh my gosh!” taylor says. “you have the prettiest hair!”

it soon hits me. these were the popular girls. the three girls that were in every teen movie, the ones that would try to ruin the main character's lives.

was i the main character to them?

“now,” heather begins, “i know what you're thinking, and we're not bad people. we actually get along with everyone. well ...”

i catch heather glaring at a gothic girl in the back of the room, and a hispanic boy at the front of the room.

“ ... almost everyone.”

that would make for an interesting story.

as the day goes by, i meet new people, and they're all pretty nice. soon enough, it's lunch time, and i have no idea where to sit. don't get me wrong, everyone seems cool .. but it was hard to figure out who my people were.

suddenly, i feel a arm wrap around my shoulders, causing me to clench my lunch tray. i look beside me to see a white boy with blonde hair and a button up shirt.

“you're the new chick, right?”

i nod.

“nice to meet you, dude! i'm geoff. you and i are gonna be best friends.”

good luck with that, i've never had a best friend. and to be honest, geoff doesn't seem like the type of best friend i always thought of.

“well, i already have a best friend, his name's brody, but you can be my best female friend! the more, the merrier dude!”

i giggle a geoff's rambling. while he's taking me to his lunch table, he starts back again.

“you've got some pretty skin, dude. i think i'm gonna call you ‘mocha.’”

interesting. i like it, though.

as soon as we get to his table, i smile once i see a familiar face. i'd completely forgotten my cousin brody went to this school!

“court!” he yells, pulling me into a long hug. i laugh, hugging him back.

“you two are cousins?” geoff asks. “wicked !”

soon after, a blonde girl comes to sit down.

“courtney, this is my girl, bridgette.” geoff says, admiring the girl beside him.

“hey!” she says, pulling her hand out for me to shake it.

“hi!” i reply, shaking her hand. finally, a real formal greeting from someone.

as the rest of the day goes by, i meet more people, and it's actually not that bad. i didn't expect everyone to be super nice to me. but, something tells me that everyone definitely isn't cool with each other. but that's okay, courtney.

you just needed to focus on the majority.