Second Bell

The sun comes up in the morning, at precisely 5 am, as per usual. This is nature. Nature doesn't require acknowledgement, doesn't require this many words, yet here it is, wasting words. Sometimes it's nice to be in control. The timekeeper finds this, this sense of control, quite comforting, actually. The one with the multicolored hair, the one we remember as 'Sketch', stands at his side. They are not always in control, and sometimes they are okay with that. Sometimes, they let the rain take control, as we must remember last episode. The boy certainly remembers. The one with the green hair and yellow eyes remembers. The one that is red absolutely remembers. He remembers more than we are allowed to know. We will find out later. Sketch takes their turn, standing behind him as he straightens his tie. The two of them, the unlikeliest of friends, share the look. No one can quite place what the duo are trying to say with that look. We will probably be allowed to know at a later date. Until then, the second bell must ring.

...

No sleep. Never sleep. No dreams, yet still, a fear of sleep. He knows he can only escape through this periscopical void, though he cannot. The color red blinds him. The taste wilts in his mouth, the acid at the back of his throat threatening him every time he dares to move. We remember him, as well. Manny. He resigns to fear and terror, his newfound state of mind, and proceeds. Like a shark, he can only move forwards.

...

The man that wears red sighs. He never meant for this to happen.

...

The green one seems content. He is seemingly unaware of what is really going on. He will know soon.

...

It is time. Time is something he is quite familiar after all, seeing as he is the timekeeper. Timekeeper is just a title. His real name is Tony. Sketch calls him 'Tony the Talking Clock', as reference to his fascination with time. He uses time to stay in control, ironically. Time is the one thing nobody can control, though many have tried. He is finally prepared. Sketch winks at him as they exit the room. When Tony enters for Second Bell, the 'family' is seated in the living room. The tv is on, though nothing is playing.

"Come on guys, stop mucking around, we've only got five minutes until our show's on." The red one- Harry- says.

Tony smirks. He remembers this as his cue.

Before he can say what was reccomennded, the green one speaks. He wasn't supposed to speak. Why did he speak?
"That's not enough time!"

Tony must think on his feet. Go off-script. "There's always time for a song." He improvises.

"What? Who is that?" Harry mumbles. Tony doesn't seem to hear. He launches into his lesson, A Journey Through all Time. Time changes, as everything does. Everything must change. Tony knows this, Manny has learned this, Robin will learn this, Harry has tried to teach this. We don't know about Harry. We know nothing beyond the red of his hair and the drone of his monotone voice. Maybe someday. Maybe after lunch. Though it is not lunchtime yet. It's Time time right now. Tony continues. He is time, and thus he must continue. Time must always continue. The yellow one is speaking. The yellow one's dad is here. Tony takes pity on the yellow one, just in this moment. The yellow one's dad is why we are here in the first place, after all. We are only here because of the camera. The camera is always running. The yellow one hates cameras. Father knows this, and places one in his son's room. Tony changes the scene. They are back in the living room. The familiarity of this room is supposed to be comforting to the yellow one, the youngest in many rooms. The pity runs away like a skittish animal as anger takes over. The yellow one is questioning ways that should never be questioned. He begins to shout. He doesn't mean to shout. He just shouts. The red returns, from the ears this time. The yellow one cannot even cry. He forgets how to. Time, the illusion, speeds up. Nothing is really happening. but...

...
rot
...

so much rot...
the rot is...
everywhere...
hair
eyes
feathers
blood
all over the floor...
the familiar familiar floor...

look at your hair grow...

isn't it strange...?

how time
makes
your appearance...

change...?

...

don't sleep.
don't ever sleep again.
fear red.
fear clocks.
fear the rain.

...

Sketch and Tony are close. Almost too close. Sometimes the others wonder. Especially the small one. The small one we haven't met yet. The small one we will meet soon who will change everything. The small one wonders about Cupid sometimes. He can see Sketch and Tony now. He wonders if they ever wonder about Cupid. Do they even know about Cupid? Oh well...they'll find out soon enough...

Time is currency.

Don't go bankrupt.

Until next time...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Author's Note:

I feel like this story is absolute shit. I'm trying to retell dhmis but I don't think I'm doing a very good job of it. I only made this story because of nb Sketchbook (which is literally canon). I won't abandon it, but I don't like it.