c h a p t e r. 1

"Do you think god stays in heaven because he, too, lives in fear of what he's created?"
Robert Rodiguez.

Warning to all those starting this book: it can be read as a stand alone but there will be spoilers for both Bar Red's Redemption and Augustine's Sanity.

Also, the main character was raised fluent in four different languages (Italian, English, Spanish, and French) so some of her inner and outer dialogue will be spoken in those languages but mostly just Italian and Spanish. Look at the comment section for help if you don't understand.

chapter 1

Nyxonia Red fell in love with reading from a young age but, as she quickly learned, some book characters were just really fucking stupid.

And some made her heart ache.

That's why, in the middle of a class she was supposed to be paying attention to, Nyx quickly got lost into the pages of her book-- paralyzed by a reality completely different than her own.

A reality where you could love someone without having them ripped away from you.

A reality where she could indulge into someone else's pain without thinking about her own.

A reality where she was allowed not to be herself.

In short, Nyx read her books devotedly and always would.

"The devil is the world's best lover; who else could better fill you to the brim with satisfaction?
Who else could dip their hands into your soul while their lips trailed up your sides as if you were the sweetest thing he ever tasted (even the forbidden fruit couldn't compare) and who else could make hell seem so inviting while they destroy you in the most pleasurable way: with their tongue, their lips, their hands, their body?
The devil came to me with the whisper of heaven dripping from his tongue, the devil came to me with a soft camaraderie of sins and selflessness, the devil came to me in the form of death disguised as a moonlit hug, the devil came to me and--"

"Nyx," The teacher's nasally voice interrupted her reading over the intercom. "Please go to your art class immediately."

Nyx jumped, startled enough that her book clumsily dropped to the floor, making her lose her page. She felt eyes on the back of her head as she quickly grabbed her belongings, which made undoubtedly nervous.

Nervous and pissed-- but Nyx tried to ignore that violent part of her that desperately wanted to grab one of her ogling peers and shake them while she shouted, 'don't you have anything better to do?' right at them.

That wouldn't exactly be polite...

Nyx was either invisible or a delinquent, simply because of how everyone used to judge and belittle her father, and-- out of all her siblings-- Nyx just happened to be the one to carry on that lovely reputation.

And probably because she used to be a troublemaker, but not anymore.

Regardless of the reputation, Nyx loved her papa and she didn't care that everyone used to call him the town's beast. The only time she's ever seen him 'beastly' was when Tio Law accidentally slapped her Mama... that was a stressful day.

Other than that, and a few distinctive memories, her Papa has never been cruel or emotionless like how some people in the town still said him to be.

But they don't do that too much anymore.

Nyx inherited those titles, instead.

She had no close friends besides Axel-- her best friend. Though she'd never call him that. The last person they gave that title too died and she's hell bent on not repeating history.