Chapter 1

You never know what true beauty is until you see the city in the fall. The large autumn trees changing to red, yellow, gold and orange hues, while weeping to the sidewalks below.

It's September 12th. Exactly one week until my 18th birthday. One week until my soul mate is chosen. One week until everything changes.

"Aisling?" pipes my 8 year old sister. I hold her hand as we walk down the streets towards her school.
"Yes Ava?"
"Can I just stay home today?" She asks. Her bottom lip pouts, her blue eyes droopy. I shake my head.
"No. An education is important."
"You never went to school!"
"I know. And that's why I know that it's important" I sigh.

At the age of 4, my talents were discovered.

I am a starling. More specifically, I'm a Reader .

In Star City you either classify as a Starling or a Norm. Starlings are those who fall under the genetically mutated, power possessing category. Whereas Norm's, do not have any special powers.

The starlings are at the top of the social hierarchy as the government is responsible for their care.

I'm not sure how starlings were created or even why only few are chosen. All I know is that I'm special.

At the age of 4, the government took responsibility of my care. I live in my own apartment, have a personal trainer, an assistant and more all at the expense of Mr.Star; the city head.

I never attended school, however I was taught by my live in nanny whom I had from the age of 4 until 15.

My daily life is catered towards perfecting my powers and working towards repopulating the earth with more starlings.

"I wish I was like you..." Ava sighed.
No you don't. I thought.
"Here were at school. I love you! Have a nice day" I have Ava a hug.

Ava looked at me and waved. Her blonde hair braided over her shoulder.

I wave goodbye and walk off to meet Carol, my personal assistant.