vi

CHAPTER SIX | almost

JOHN LEFT LUCIE at the office while he spoke with his aunt. It had been a while since Lucie stepped foot in the Shelby office, although just the cracked paint of the door made her feel at home. The woman attempted to be as silent as possible, in the hope that she could frighten her husband. However the sound of a glee filled giggle startled her. The laughter was followed by obscene noises or ecstasy.

Lucie rounded a corner to be greeted with the Shelby's Accountants office. The door wide open, revealing the culprits of the noises that still filled the air. A young girl was perched in Michael's lap, his lips attached to her neck. Lucie seized the moment and bashed her fist against the open door.

The young girl squealed and darted behind a small sofa in the corner. "Hello, Michael who- I've-known-all-my-life Gray. Having a shag in the office now, are we?" Lucie raised her eyebrow in amusement at the boy whose face turned beet red.

"Killjoy. It's not like you and Tommy have never done it before." Michael mumbled, zipping up his trousers.

"Oh of course we have, sometime with the family in the next room." Lucie laughed as Michael's face contorted in disgust. "What it's not like you've never done it before." Lucie mimicked in a childish tone.

"Won't you introduce me, Michael?" Lucie smiled, poking her head around the door to see the flustered girl. "This is Charlotte Murray, Charlotte this is Lucie Shelby. I've told you about her and her brothers who I lived next door to in Manchester."

Charlotte slowly walked towards Lucie, who couldn't have actually been more than ten years older than the girl, considering Lucie was only 28. "Hi, Mrs Shelby. It's lovely to meet you." Charlotte stuttered.

"Don't tell Tommy, Luce." Michael chimed.

Lucie just laughed at his request. "Michael, my dear, if you want to shag with the door open, I'm one hundred percent going to tell my husband." Lucie turned to the door, spinning to take one last look at Michael. "And you two be careful, the next child to be trotting around here should be mine, not yours." Lucie laughed and slammed the door shut.

Lucie bounded into Thomas' office, pouring herself a half-filled glass of whiskey before swallowing it in one go. She scanned his desk, trying to find any documents on the Russian business. However they were no doubt in the locked draw.

To pass the time, the smiling woman started up the gramophone in a desolate corner. A soft lullaby-like melody croaked out of the brass tube. Lucie untied the make shift low bun that hung at the nape of her neck. Her midnight black tresses swayed along with Lucie. The young woman let her eyes flutter closed and swayed softly to the melody.

Two hands gripped onto Lucie's waist, shocking her out of the song induced daze she was in. "Now what are you doing here?" Thomas spoke softly, swaying Lucie side to side with his hands.

"Dance with me." Lucie whispered, her words barely audible. Thomas spun the girl to face him, a shriek of surprise leaving her lips. Lucie smiled up at her husband, snaking her arms around his waist. "Dance with me, Mr Shelby?" Lucie spoke louder this time, dropping her head against Tommy's chest.

"Anything for my wife." Thomas whispered as he and Lucie began to sway to the music.

"I wonder what the Russians would think if they saw Thomas Shelby, dancing with a girl?" Lucie giggled quietly. "They would think you've gone soft, Tommy."

"I'm not Tommy Shelby the gang leader anymore. Ever since I saw you on that table singing." Thomas whispered, kissing the top of Lucie's head before slowly letting her go. "We need to chat with John and Arthur." Thomas began, walking to turn the gramophone off. "I know where they took you today. John said you stood your ground." He laughed, grasping Lucie's hand to lead her out of the office.

"Let's go see Michael!" Lucie squeaked taking Tommy by surprise. "Caught him shagging a girl with his door open when I arrived."

Lucie rapped on the glass in the door, the sound prompted a squeal from inside the room. Thomas didn't bother to wait, instead her swung the door open, striding into the office. "Are you gonna introduce us?" Thomas asked nonchalantly.

Michael smiled and place in cigarette between his lips. The young boy walked around his desk, leaning against the front of it. "This is Charlotte Murray, her father makes cars."

Charlotte outstretched her gloved hand to Thomas, who never even bothered to glance at it. Lucie held back a snigger as the young girl awkwardly lowered her hand. "I really enjoyed your wedding Mr. Shelby." She said in a sweet, but posh accent.

"Grace's family?" Lucie questioned, catching the girl off guard.

"Yeh-I-erm-Yes." Charlotte stuttered under Lucie's cold glare.

"Polly said that you should call her. There's been some trouble." Michael announced.

"What kind of trouble?" Thomas questioned, agitated by the thought.

"I'm guessing the stuff she doesn't like to tell me about."

"Right, Thomas we've got to go." Lucie smiled, tugging on her husband's hand. "Don't forget what I said you two. The next baby around here is mine." Lucie laughed at her words once again before slamming the door closed.

The two walked in silence. Lucie was trying to figure out what trouble had erupted within the family. Whereas Tommy was picturing their future child toddling around the office. A blue eyed, raven hair child. Half him. Half her. Something he longed for. Something he had already very almost had.

Almost.