Chapter Two

I'm heading back home after submitting my entry, answering over 100 questions, and trying to build something with given materials. It was a pain, honestly. There were over 50 kids my age there, and apparently, only around 5 will pass. They'll give out the results next week.

I'm kinda scared to see my results, but I think that's normal for everyone. It was the same for Marco when he tried to get signed up in the army. He's on a week off, so that's why he's at home. But my dad, it's different. He spends most of his time in the army. We rarely see him at all. The only times he comes home is neither during the holidays or if he's sick, or sometimes, just randomly.

I arrive back home. As I open the door, Reilly gives me a hug. She always does what when I come back home. It's adorable, to be honest. My mother was in the kitchen preparing diner. I don't see Marco anywhere. He's probably gonna come back home late again.

''So, how was it?'' Mom asked.

''It was quite difficult, honestly.'' I replied. ''I had to answer over 100 questions and I had to build something with given materials.''

''What did you built?'' Reilly asked.

''Nothing too extraordinary.'' I answered. ''Just some sort of thing that can produce electricity with heat.''

''Electricity? I thought only the very rich had it, since it's expensive.'' Mom added.

''They didn't gave us power sources, I made myself one using hot water.'' I responded.

After I said that, my mother looked proud. What's so special about producing electricity with heat?

After a long conversation with mom and Reilly about the whole subject, I've got my answer. Apparently electricity is very difficult to produce and it's not available for everyone, and no one has ever tried producing it with heat, most specifically, hot water. I didn't think it was really special, though.

''Hey mom?'' asked Reilly. ''When is dad coming back home?''

''I don't know, but I made sure to ask him to come over this month.'' Mom replied.

Reilly really misses dad. Can't say I blame her, I also do myself. I just wish he could come by more often, like during our birthdays and all.

Reilly got up and placed her empty plate on the counter, then went to her room to sleep. She has a lot of difficulty sleeping these days, so she tends to go to sleep more early. Maybe Marco should do that too (haha-).

As I was cleaning the dishes with mom, Marco walked in. Late as ever.

''I'm back.'' He said. ''Sorry I'm late.''

''It's alright, Marco.'' Mom reassured. ''Your plate is on the table.''

''Okay, thank.''

''Also, when you're done, could you please take the letters on the table and bring it to the post office?'' Mom asked Marco.

''Sure.'' He responded. ''I'll go visit Tom after, if you don't mind.''

''Go on ahead.'' Mom said.

Tom is Marco's best friend. His only human friend, basically. He'll probably be gone for three hours since these two wont stop talking to each other for a while. I don't really know when they met, but I know that I was very young. He's six years older than me after all. 

Marco finished and placed his plate one the counter. He walked back to the front door and left, again.

My mother then looked at me and said:

''Dez, I have something important to tell you.''