Prologue

"Spottedleaf. How dare you blame me for this?" The she-cat screeched. Her pale blue eyes flashed with fury. 

    "Cinderpelt, no cat is blaming you. I agree that this kit should never have been taken into ThunderClan, but there is nothing we can do now."

    "We can warn the Clans." Cinderpelt snapped.

    "Do what you feel is right, Cinderpelt."

 ***

    Jayfeather wandered toward the lake. He crept beneath an elder bush near the shore. Wedged beneath the roots were two pieces of a stick, claw marks etched into its bare wood. He rested his paws on the smooth wood, taking comfort from the whispers that still echoed from seasons ago. But as he listened, the whispers turned into blood-chilling screams and wails. 

    "Beware the shadows cast by leaves. The trees will crumble and shadows disperse. Beware the cat who yearns for knowledge."

    "Spottedleaf! What is this?" Jayfeather howled. Not waiting for her answer, he bolted back into the trees, ignoring the vines snatching at his paws. Bursting into camp, he scrambled up the tumbled stones to Bramblestar's den.

     "Jayfeather? What's happened? I've never seen you in such panic before."

     "A sign! I've received a sign from Spottedleaf. She said 'Beware the shadows cast by leaves. The trees will crumble and shadows disperse. Beware the cat who yearns for knowledge.'"

   "Tell no cat."