Setting Sail

A/N- Hi!! So it's been a REALLY long time since I've written anything for the Unwanteds, and you might know me as Lani-haluki from FanFiction.Net (I wrote a story called the Unwanteds Tales, which was a bunch of one shot/aus). Anyway I found this story in my notes from a few years ago so I decided to start writing it again!!

Kaylee and Aaron's dynamic is one of my favorites in the series (aside from Lani and Sam) and so I had to write more for them. Sorry if any of this is ooc!! It's been a while since I've written for the unwanteds but I hope I'll get back into the swing of writing them. Also, I'm planning for this to be about a ten chapter story in Kaylee & Aaron's povs.

Hope u enjoy!

___

It was finally the day. The day Kaylee Jones would be leaving for home, and her life would change once again. For the better? Who knew.

It wasn't uncommon for her life to change drastically. The whole sailing-around-the-world competition was the start of it. Having just turned fifteen before the event started, she was the youngest, most experienced sailor of her age. That competition had been hard to get in, but it was totally worth it. She'd been sailing all her life, mostly only around her hometown, Massachusetts.

She started venturing further and further with every sailing trip. As she grew up, she started doing week-long sailing trips with her family or friends in the summer. At the age of twelve, she was ecstatic to know she could get her boating license. She knew as much about boats as a normal kid would know about Harry Potter.

When she was very young, she would often blurt out things like "how to properly moor a ship." When someone sailed as much as Kaylee did in her free time, they picked up a lot of new skills. As she quickly discovered, talking only about in school was a quick way to lose friends. But the good thing was, she never did that anymore. Not to strangers, anyway.

For Kaylee, sailing around the world had always been her dream. The idea of traveling to new places, of gliding across the water that stretched on for miles . . . it was all she'd ever wanted. But that all changed during the sailing competition, when she wound up getting caught in a waterfall.

Then, she'd crashed at the Island of Shipwrecks, and her dream crashed with it. She'd never wanted to leave a place more. And who could blame her? It wasn't hard to see why, back then. She was in an unfamiliar place with only her sailboat as a reminder of home.

The first night, she'd cried herself to sleep. Then the second time had been in front of Ishibashi, during a fleeting, embarrassing moment when Kaylee had almost lost hope. But losing hope wasn't an option for her. She wouldn't give up on trying to get out of here. Not ever.

With the help of Ishibashi, Ito, and Sato, they managed to repair her beloved sailboat. The only problem to get through after that was the hurricane. But, her determination paid off. She escaped without getting hit too badly by the treacherous waves or the blaring wind, which was a relief.

Kaylee didn't let herself relax until the skies started to clear, and she sailed off towards where she thought home was. Maybe finally she'd be safe. Maybe she'd have no trouble sailing back the way she came, wherever that way was. And by some miracle, she'd make it back just in time to finish the sailing competition. Just like she'd planned.

Unfortunately, fate had other plans.

Her sailboat had taken too big of a toll, and it sunk. She grabbed the remains of what was left of her belongings and swam to shore. By now, she was only starting to feel a little hopeless and hysterical. For days, she attempted living in one of the broken ships on the beach, but there was no luck. She had eaten all of her food. And even worse: there was no water left.